Chapter 4: First Day part 4

Fighting class was held in the school's colosseum. It was large enough for every student and staff member to fit in the open arena, and the stands could hold twice as much.

Alexander walked her to the locker room, and waited outside for her. Everyone ignored her, and she quickly got dressed into the training uniform.

It consisted of a long tunic and leggings, and a looser corset. The tunic had the school crest on the front, as well as being in the school's signature navy blue, the leggings being the secondary color of light gray.

She slipped on the gray boots, and found a stray red ribbon to try her hair up.

"Ugh, why is her hair so long?" she thought. Finally she pulled her hair up in a ponytail.

She walked out and Alexander took a second to look at her.

"What's with your hair?" he asked as he led her towards the field.

"Is something wrong with it?" she quietly asked.

He shook his head. "It's just unusual, but not bad,"

She almost smiled at him, but then noticed that people were looking at her. She lost her train of thought and inched closer to Alexander.

If he noticed, he didn't care, because as soon as she was in the training spot for her grade he left.

She noticed that Blake was watching her, and she quickly looked back down.

"I hope I don't have to fight him," she thought.

"Attention students!" someone yelled. A young man stood in front of the crowd of first years. He had brown skin and eyes, and blackish blue locks.

"I am your instructor, Master Giverson. Everyone get into the two lines side by side,"

Maria bumbled into a line. She kept her gaze down, afraid to look at anyone else.

The instructor started walking between the two lines, analyzing the students.

"You," he said to her, and she jumped. He dragged out of the line and put her in the front, her gaze down the entire time.

"Now turn to the person across from you, and they will be your training partner for the foreseeable future,"

She slowly raised her gaze as she turned to look at her partner. She froze for a second when she met the Prince's eye.

"Why did I have to be paired with him?" she thought. "Why did I have to be paired with one of them?"

"It could be worse," she thought as tried to calm down. "Jack is much sweeter and kinder than the rest of them, I should be find,"

"Today is going to be a free for all, you may use either your fists or magic to fight your opponent,"

He clapped and the students spread out. Some already started fighting each other, but she and Prince Jack stayed put.

"Hurry up and fight her!" Arthur yelled.

Prince Jack got into a fighting position, and she reluctantly copied him.

But that didn't matter, because he quickly knocked her down.

"Ah!" she landed on her back, and didn't have time to react. He started kicking her, and as she tried to block the grass around her stretched up and held her in place.

Tears sprung from her eyes, her mouth was bleeding, and she was pretty sure that one of her eyes was swollen shut.

She tried struggling, tried to stop him and call out, but the grass tightened around her throat and she was growing light headed. She couldn't even scream out when one of her ribs craked.

But the worst part of the attacks was that she could feel his hatred for her in every hit. Each blow bruised her more, as well as sinking her further into disrepair.

"He's going to kill me," she thought. "I haven't even lived a full day and I'm already going to die again,"

"And I deserve it," she thought as another wave of hatred washed over her.

Suddenly, the beat stopped, but the grass grew tighter around her.

"You went too far, let her go!" Mr. Giverson yelled.

Finally the grass let her go. She let out a haggard breath, and closed her eyes and passed out.

When she opened both her eyes, she realized that she was inside somewhere. Her face felt better, but the rest of her body still felt sore, especially her rib cage.

"It's nice to see that you are awake," an old woman's voice said. The old woman came into her view, looking down at her.

"Stay still, I'm going to get rid of those bruises and fix that rib,"

Her stomach and arms started glowing. She could feel the bruises grow nummer and smaller, and until they disappeared completely, and she could her rib cage mend itself.

"How did you do that?" she asked.

The old woman chuckled. "Ah, I used my healing magic,"

"Healing magic?" Maria shot up and looked at the woman eagerly.

"That's my magic, maybe she can teach me!" she thought.

"Yes, healing magic. Is this the first time you've ever seen it?"

Maria nodded. "How do you use it?" she asked.

"It depends on the type of injury, cuts are usually the easiest. And wait, why are you asking?"

"Shoot! She won't believe me if I told her the truth!"

"I'm just, uh, curious about it,"

The old woman shrugged. "Well okay then. I would love to tell you more, but schools about to end, so you best be on your way,"

"Oh uh, thank you," Maria said as she was shooed out the door.

"I'm just doing my job," the old woman said before closing the door.

"I see you're finally done," Maria jumped as Alexander came into view.

"Let's get going," he started walking away, and she hurried to catch up with him.

"Where are we heading?"

He gave a look at her. "To you're community service of course,"