Chapter 2

Keiko breathed deeply as she began to regain consciousness. She mumbled incoherently at first, remnants of the dream she had been having. Finally, she paused mid stretch. This wasn't her bed, it was far too hard to be her bed. It was a floor. Sure enough, she opened her eyes and she was in the middle of an empty room. Almost empty, that is. There was one person with her, he stood in the corner a good distance away. His frame was small, only a child it would seem, but he wore the mask of an Anbu agent. She knew there were many exceptional ninja in Konoha, but a child in the Anbu, even that was unusual.

She surveyed her surroundings and found the room they were in to be of a decent size, very open and minimalistic. The door that acted as the only entrance and exit was metal and sturdy, causing Keiko to wonder if the door was meant to keep someone out, or in. She was about to stand up when she saw the boy raise his hand in a motion to stop. Keiko froze and eyed him. "Why am I here?" She said gathering herself into a more comfortable sitting position.

The boy offered no reply, only silence. She studied him thoroughly over the next several long moments. The power radiating from was astonishing just in the way he carried himself. Though she couldn't see his eyes his gaze upon her sent a chill down her spin though she refused to show it. She thought back to her uncles teachings, 'Your emotions are weapons for the enemy. Do not show fear. To show fear is to admit defeat.'

As the two individuals were locked in a stare down the door to the room opened. She turned her head and looked at the Anbu who entered, followed by the Hokage of all people. His expression was tired and the tense look of his shoulders told her he wished not to be there. Behind him was a man she had never seen before. He was older like the Lord Hokage, perhaps the same age. He had dark hair and had bandages covering one side of his face.

Keiko took notice of one of the Anbu members, he was the one who called her name in front of the school. His silvery hair stood out among the other members but she couldn't make out any other defining feature. As the group entered and came to a half she turned her gaze to the Hokage who regarded her almost apologetically now.

"Danzo, do you really think this necessary?" He said to the Elder.

Danzo seemed to ignore him, "Keiko Takahashi, do you know why you are here?"

The girl kept her face stoic, though inside she was panicking, "I do not."

The Elder regarded her coldly, "We have been watching you for some time now. We have reason to believe you are a spy from another nation."

Keiko's gaze hardened, "What have I done to invoke such an accusation?" Her blue eyes were like ice, a testament to the harsh cold of her homeland.

"The girl is a Chunin. She has been in the village for years without incident." The Hokage reasoned. "She hasn't even left the village in months."

"And for good reason," Danzo said, "Seeking a job at the academy when everyone knows it is only a few years from attending." Keiko saw the Hokage's eyes darken, what Danzo said had clearly upset him. She still did not understand why she was there. What had she done to be treated like a traitor? Her answer came shortly after, "An enemy ninja - no, a samurai - seeking to learn our ways and find a weapon to send our village into ruin once again!"

"That is enough!" The Hokage boomed, his voice reverberating around them. He looked at Keiko, "What do you have to say?" It was clear in the Hokage's tone that he had had enough of this.

Keiko looked at the two men, the faintest bit of shock etched on her face. She stood, a wave of emotion flowing over her. A flow so strong she had trouble keeping the floodgates shut. "I am a Kunoichi of the Hidden Leaf." She began, passion seeping into her voice, "My loyalties are to the Leaf Village, perhaps my superiors would know that if I was given a chance to show my skill. Instead, I am cast aside and overlooked at every opportunity."