12. Who is he?

"With all due respect, Mr. Atkinson, that cannot be tonight. The villagers believe that since Amara has been offered as 'sacrifice', there would be no more attacks. If you and your men take more people, they will lose faith in Anyanwu and she will no longer have the power to manipulate them". Replied my father.

"I don't care what your stupid people think! You promised us fifty people every year! The year is about to end, and we only have thirty. Don't test me!" The man pointed the end of the thunder stick at me.

My father stood up. "Fine, I apologize. Please, do as you please, my lords. He turned to Anyanwu. "Anyanwu ututu" He called.

"Yes, my king," She answered.

"Stay here and watch Amara, I shall return to our land and my lords with me".

"Yes my king, May your days be long". She responded. Strange how she acts with him.

My father left with Mr. Atkinson and three of the men. The other two men stayed watching Anyanwu and I. She took my hand and led me to a door in the corner.

The men followed, but she stood in their way, "You and I know that Amara cannot escape, so put your energy into something more productive like assisting my girl servants in watching the prisoners."

One of the men answered back. "Watching the prisoners is your duty, not ours. And you can't expect us to believe that she will not attempt to escape."

"I am here, am I not." She grimaced at him.

"I do not care if you are here, we will make sure the girl never leaves."

"She needs to be alone, she need to have a bath and take care of herself as a woman. Do you intend to watch her do that? Shameless man" Argued Anyanwu.

He guffawed unemotionally. "In case you have not noticed, we do not bear any form of attraction to your women. So, you have no reason to fear..." He paused her from speaking by raising his hand. "Listen to me, you may be a powerful witch in the eyes of those gullibles, but down here, you do not intimidate me in the slightest. So either you step aside, or you go in there and we follow!".

"Fine." She opened the door and pulled me inside.

It was a small bed room already illuminated with a lantern. A small bed made with white mattress was placed in the right corner. Clothes are arranged on the bed. As expected, there is no window.

She turned to the men. "Young man, you said you are not intimidated by my powers as a 'witch', then don't tell me you are afraid that I can magically make a window appear in this underground room just so she can escape."

He cleared his throat. "You have five minutes". He turned to his subordinate, "Let's go, Nigel". They left the room.

Anyanwu held my shoulders gently and made me sit on the bed. "Amara, Listen to me. I need you to tell me where that man is, the man who helped you".

"I don't know what you mean". I answered stoically.

"Don't play clueless. That young man is a danger to us all. He knows too much". She revealed.

"How do you mean?" I asked.

She sighed. "I will tell you, but you must tell me where he is." I said nothing but she proceeded anyways. "He was our prisoner once, Dinta is his name. He was the only one who had the guts to challenge your father. Out of anger, and to teach him a lesson, you father had his tongue burnt, turning him into a mute person. He escaped some years ago, and with him, many other prisoners escaped as well. Your father retrieved some, the rest were killed either by wild animals or by the guns of the white men, but Dinta is yet to be seen till this day, he is dangerous. He seeks revenge against your father, of this, I am sure". She revealed. She then explained to me what a 'gun' was.

"So, you are afraid." I mocked. "The great Anyanwu is afraid of a mere mortal? I find that hard to believe. I don't care if Dinta gets revenge against my father. So, forgive me but I have no information to give you. I am sure the five minutes the men gave you is up, please excuse me".

She huffed angrily and stood up. She walked up to the door. "It is unfortunate that you will never find out what really happened to your mother". Then she walked out.

"What?" I stared at the door that she walked out of. The sound coming from the other side indicated that someone locked the door.

What does she have to tell me about my mother?