6. The cave

Am I dead?
This was the first question that came to mind when I woke up. Wait what?
I thought that was the end, or is this the afterlife? Maybe I can find my mother.

I turned my head to get a view of this strange place, it looked like a cave, a dark cave with little rays of sunlight piercing through the apparent roof.
A stack of neatly arranged logs at the corner were the only things my vision could capture.

Just then, I heard it! That grunting sound again, accompanied by heavy footsteps, I could not see what it was because that side was dark, and I sat frozen on the ground as it grew closer, then heavy breathing sounds came near my ear.

I gasped when I felt a cold, rough palm touch my face.
Too afraid to speak, I shut my eyes tightly hoping it goes away.
After feeling my face, it grunted again and walked in another direction but returned a moment later.

The sudden stroke of two stones against each other causing a spark brought me out of my stupefied state.

It took two more strokes before the fire was successfully started on the small pile of firewood.

That was when I got a clear look at the creature that had me terrified.

It was a...man?

He had black hair, the major part of his face was covered with thick beards and his nose stood like a tower.  He creased his forehead in concentration while adjusting the firewood to keep the flames steady, then he looked up at me with a frown on his face, those big brown orbs were the most captivating things I had ever seen.
How could a man so perfect be a monster? How could he kill in cold blood?

Without warning, he grabbed my face gently, turning my head from side to side, probably checking for injuries, I think.
  He let go of my face and stood up, grunting loudly as he walked around the cave. I was confused by his actions, so I stayed calm and observed him.
He wore animal skin around his waist while his upper body was bare.
I stood up from the ground, not sure if I should talk or be silent. "Who are you?" I asked in a shaky voice.

Looking at the space through which he first entered, I wondered if that was the exit.
Should I run? He would catch me in a heartbeat. But if I stay here will he kill me? God, what should I do?.
I was in a dilemma where I stood. I took the chance that he wasn't looking and made a run for it.
I ran as fast as my legs could carry, the cave was like a very big maze, I reached many dead ends but I continued to run until I came across the exit of the cave.
I looked back to see if I was being chased, surprisingly, no.
I seized the golden opportunity and ran out of the cave, to my greatest shock, it was dark outside. Like that night I was tied to that tree. This is the monster's den!  The same fear from that night gripped my entire soul, my head grew big and I could not move. What is happening?

From the corner of my eye, I saw something move, I quickly turned to get a proper look. What I saw with my two eyes was nothing short of a nightmare.