5. Nightfall

Anyanwu made some incantations, then I was to be taken a little further to the infamous tree. All the females including the priestess stayed back at the border as it was taboo for women to go anywhere near it, So I was being dragged by the male youths, led by my stepbrothers until we reached a humongous tree, it's sight alone can strike fear in the hearts of brave men, much less someone like me.

They tied me to the tree and quickly turned back and walked away, leaving me all alone in this frightening place.

I stood tied up, on one side was my village and on the other was the entrance of the dark forest, looking inside there, it was as dark as night despite that it is still morning time out here. No wonder it is called the 'dark forest'.
Minutes turned into hours, I was still there, praying and hoping for a miracle.

Then, nightfall came, not just any night, the dreaded full moon night;
Everywhere was as quiet as a graveyard and
It felt like I was in the domain of fear itself, the air was chilling to the bone and silence was an unending sound. Shadows of trees created an illusion of creepy creatures on the ground and silhouettes of different shapes and sizes caused obscure imaginations to crawl out of my mind and into my eyes until all I could see was a deadly figure heading my way.

I closed my eyes to escape these thoughts, but that did not help and it only got worse when I heard the snap of a twig. I opened my eyes quickly to find the source but I saw nothing. Another noise drew my attention, but again, nothing.
It sounded like someone was running passed me. But who could it be?!

I was so afraid... I started to cry silently, praying for a miracle. My mother once told me that even at the worse times, miracles do happen.

A cold breeze blew my way, it was so cold that I felt like I was being dipped in freezing water. I started shivering, the cold was becoming unbearable just like the anguish I felt inside.
the sound of rustling leaves caught my attention again, but I saw nothing.

"Why don't you just get on with it already?! I'm tired of your games!". I cried out. I could not deal with this fear anymore. I was prepared to face it once and for all.

Just then, I heard movement behind me, I tried to look behind to see who it was, but I was restrained from doing so because of the way I was tied.
Anxiety was slowly creeping up my spine.

A sudden hit to my head knocked me out unconscious.

***

I opened my eyes to a sound.

what could it be?

"Ah!"... I exclaimed while touching the part of my head that was hit.

That sound stopped. Oh no! It knows I'm awake...
My heartbeat increased rapidly and my breaths turned heavy. I was afraid of the unknown, what kind of creature was hiding in the darkness?
The sound of movement worsened my state, the thought of being torn limb by limb caused the blood in my veins to rush uncontrollably. How painful would it be? No!

I heard all and I knew that was it!
"Chim eh!!". I screamed as something touched me.

Thankfully, I fainted.
At least, I won't spend my last moments screaming.

It will end soon.