Part 1: Chapter 3

Over the next month, I asked him once if I should look for an apartment. We just woke up and were eating breakfast when I asked him.

"Why, don't you like it here?" he asked me, surprised, as though I didn't want to stay there with him.

"No, no, I love it here. I just don't want to overstay my welcome," I said.

"Well, you won't, and, besides, this is your home now, as well as mine."

"Really, thank you, Bucky!" I exclaimed.

The bell on the door rang. I got up and went to open the door. It was Steve. He looked distracted.

"Hi, Steve, what's up?" I asked him.

"Hey, where's Bucky?" he asked.

"In the kitchen, why?" I was confused.

"I got something to tell you," he said and hurried past me to the kitchen.

"Hey Steve, little early for you, isn't it?" Bucky said.

"Hey, I have something important to say," Steve said.

"Well, spit it out the," I told him.

"The war just started in Europe and they're looking for American help against Germany. The army is asking for soldiers. I'm going to apply," he said.

"You are going to apply? Why?" I asked confused. I just couldn't imagine him in an army. He was skinny and tiny, and I was sure they wouldn't pick him.

"Because I want to help," he said.

"I'm going to apply as well," Bucky said. I jumped in my seat and looked at him. For a moment, I forgot he was here.

"Are you sure? You don't need to, Buck," I said.

"But I want to. And like Steve said, I want to help too. I was surprised and sad. Really, really sad.

***

The next thing I know, we are in the harbour, saying goodbye to Bucky. Steve didn't get accepted. 

"Don't worry, I'll be fine," he said, trying to calm me. But he couldn't because I knew there was a chance he could die, and I could never see him again. So, I cried. I tried to say something, but nothing came out.

Bucky just pulled me in his arms, and I buried my head in his chest. "I'll be okay, I promise," he said.

Suddenly, we heard the horn, which meant that it was time for Bucky to go. Bucky let me go and went to say goodbye to Steve. Then he came back and hugged me again. He kissed me on the forehead and said: "I'll think about you all the time."

"I love you," I suddenly said.

Bucky looked me in the eyes and said: "I love you too. I promise, I will okay, and I will come back."

He kissed me on the forehead again, turned around and went on the boat. I was just looking at him, tears rolling down my face. I collapsed in Steve's arms.

"I know, I know," he said while holding me. I could hear he was crying too.