Twenty

Din

The kid stands at her bedroom door, whining while clutching the little blanket she gave him.

He loves her, she might not see how much but I do. I suppose that's one thing me and the kid have in common.

"I know kid," I say, standing there with him. "I miss her too, but she'll be back soon."

And I do miss her. I miss her like hell.

I miss those bright eyes, and that laugh that never fails to make everything better. I miss seeing her with the kid. I miss those moments where I have an arm around her waist while she holds him and she'll smile not just at him, but at me.

Those moments where I glimpse something I've never had. Where I almost have it. Something I didn't know I could want until the Sanctuary. With the lady and her daughter and the kid. But I knew I'd only bring violence there. And I still fear it with Kyra. Except she knows violence, she thrives in it. She is Mandalorian.

There have been countless moments where I knew I wanted this with her, but when I saw her with the Chancellor it was the most Mandalorian I've ever seen her. Truly protective of our clan, of our foundling. And I knew then, without any doubt, that I love her. That there is no one else I want to raise this child with. I don't want to do it without her. I've never let myself want anything, but this, the three of us, is everything I've never let myself imagine.

Now I wait for her to come home to us, to figure this out as she promised. And for the first time I find myself praying to whatever force gods are out there that we will. I pick the kid up and sit him on my lap on the couch, turning on the television set to the holo news, the last time I saw one of those was in one of the bars on Tatooine.

"In recent news, Rebels gathered for the funeral of Lieutenant Shara Bey on Yavin-4. The Rebel hero's sudden death came as a shock to all, with many giving speeches and toasts in her memory," the reporter says and I listen carefully, knowing that's where Kyra is. "Princess Leia stressed the importance of what she fought for and that now it's more important than ever to remember the sacrifices Shara Bey and the rest of the rebels made to bring peace to the galaxy. This comes with the first public appearance of the Duchess Kyra since her public address in which she vocally attacked both the Chancellor and the senate."

The footage cuts to her, standing in grey, the Mandalorian colour of mourning and I hold the kid up so he can see and he makes an excited noise. "There she is kid, she'll be on her way home before you know it."

"The Duchess and former General remained hidden from the press but was seen alongside fellow Rebel heroes Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and former partner Lando Calrissian."

The man I heard mentioned in the ship by her sister's husband, yet he isn't the former lover giving her grief. Boba Fett. A legend amongst bounty hunters and a constant ghost haunting us all, especially on Tatooine. If she doesn't kill him I will.

The kid reaches out into the hologram and makes a disappointed sound once it cuts away from her. One I can understand.

"Come on kid, time for bed," I say, going to pick him back up but he leans away from me. "Hey come on now, you know what time it is."

I watch as he shuffles towards the door to the outside of the apartment and sigh, he's waiting for her to come back. He lets go of his little blanket and raises his hand to the sliding doors, to my surprise they open and I hear her laugh.

"You knew I was coming didn't you?" I see her pick him up, smiling and cuddling him close. "Oh my I've missed you, my little green rascal."

"He's missed you too."