Eighteen

The journey to Chandrila is quiet, but thankfully faster in my ship and upon arrival I'm marching straight into a new battle. 

Din and the child follow me to the government office where the Mon Mothma will be waiting for me. Citizens immediately step aside when they see me walk past with the Imperial assault rifle I took slung over my shoulder, and a Mandalorian warrior by my side.

"General Kenobi!" I hear reporters call out as I approach the building. "Are you here to see the Chancellor? Do you have any comments on the charges that have been dismissed?"

"That I have no regrets about delivering justice and I'd do it again," I reply to the shocked reporters as I walk through the entrance to the building and straight to the front desk.

The receptionist looks up and me, whispering a shocked exclamation underneath their breath, before they clear their throat. "General Kenobi, I- this is unexpected, are you here to visit Senator Organa?"

"I'm here to see the Chancellor," I say, knowing I'll pay Leia a visit afterwards, and upon their silence demand "Now."

They stammer "You could make an appointment."

I just let out a laugh, the anger that I've been harbouring since Carson told me she'd denied my request, since the first and last time they ignored my distress signal, beginning to boil over. "I'll see her now thank you."

"Of course General," they permit nervously and pick up the phone. "Could you inform the Chancellor that General Kenobi is on her way, yes she is on her way right now, with a Mandalorian and a child, I think. No I can't tell her to wait-"

Security doesn't dare to stop me as I walk past, Din and the child following, and we board the elevator to the Chancellors office.

"Will we have any trouble with security?" Din asks then clarifies. "Or will you make any?"

"I plan on seeing Leia afterwards so I'd like to see them try to kick me out of this building," I reply and pat the child on the back. "You excited to be in a big city?"

He makes an excited noise, still captivated by all the lights and noises and life of a city compared to the outer rims.

"You're about to meet the person in charge of the Republic," I tell the kid and he coos. "And I'm going to use very strong words with her, but even if she gets angry with me you can't choke her, do you understand?"

He sounds a little disappointed at that but agrees. Din actually seems nervous to be meeting the Chancellor, or rather in disbelief of this whole situation. "How is it I've been avoiding the law my entire life and now I'm meeting the Chancellor?"

"Because you found me," I say looking at him proudly, glad to have him by my side. "But I've got to warn you that her and I have some bad blood."

"Well after hearing you and Moff Gideon I've got an idea of what to expect," he says and I can hear the pride in his voice. "Just give me a heads up if we need to make a run for it."

"You know me too well," I say, us still trying to find that middle ground after all that had happened on Tatooine, then suddenly the elevator stops.

The door opens and I find myself looking at Leia.

And she is pissed. 

Oh shit.

I let out a nervous laugh. "I was just going to come and see you-"

She looks at the rifle slung over my shoulder, then to Din and then to the child, and back to me before ordering "My office, now!"

Din looks at me in panic and silently I follow Leia out of the elevator with him and the child trailing behind me while Leia lets me have it.