Five

Dawn comes and and the trail left by the speeder has long been blown away, snd so I trust in what's always guided me, something I haven't listened to anywhere near enough.

The force.

And I can feel it. I can feel the child.

But as I grow nearer I sense danger and slow, dismounting my speeder and sneaking through the canyon until I spot the wreckage of Mando's speeder and hear the fighting.

I come through the clearing to see a bandit with a knife to the child's throat.

"Wait!" Mando yells with raised hands. "Don't hurt the child. If you put one mark on him there's no place you will be able to hide from me."

My saber ignites and he whips around to look at me.

"You will put the child down," I say calmly, looking at the bandit knowing it's not a suggestion, but a mind trick. "You will put the child down and put your hands above your head."

"What are you doing?" Mando hisses until much to his shock the bandit slowly puts the child back on the ground, who immediately runs as fast as his little legs can carry him to Mando.

Mando scoops up the child and holds him close while the bandit stays there with his hands raised as I approach him. "Now drop the knife."

Mando stares at me in pure disbelief as the bandit drops his knife and without hesitation I cut him down with my saber.

The child lets out a little shriek, strange considering he'd be used to far worse violence than that, even so there's something strange to his reaction considering the violence he's seen.

"How- how did you do that?" Din stammers as he protectively clutches the child to his chest.

"I'm a Jedi," I answer stepping closer and looking at the child. His big black eyes staring right into mine. "And I've decided to take you up on your request."

"You'll train him?" Din asks, suddenly panicking. "I- wherever he goes I go."

"You've taken the child as a foundling and I don't intend to separate a clan," I answer and decide. "I'll be coming with you."

"Why?" he asks defensively, on edge from what he's just witnessed. "Why change your mind?"

"Because as a Jedi it is my duty to protect this child, as much as it is yours as its father," I say knowing that this child needs to be taught to control it's powers, and more importantly protected from the darkness that I've felt targeting Ben. "You have cared for him well but his abilities make him a target for forces you cannot understand. This child crossed my path for a reason, as did you."

"That's quite a change of heart overnight," he questions and my eyes are on the child who reaches his little hand out towards me.

"I was told what I needed to hear," I say looking at him, knowing it wasn't just my father's words that led to this decision. "You were right, harsh but right. I- the way I've been living is not the way of the Jedi or the Mandalorian. It's not a coincidence I came across you on this barren planet, even if you are not like any other Mandalorian I've known."

"I can say the same for you," he says looking me up and down in my leather armour. "I can accept that you are a Jedi, but a Mandalorian-"