I pulled on the heels, the four inches lifting me so that only a small trail touched the floor. I turned in the mirror, chewing at my lip as I debated how brave I was.

A knock at the door followed by Molly. "It's time! Are you done?"

"Y-yeah..."

I heard her squeal, and Sean cursed at her to shut up, which made me smile. I looked at myself once more, encouraging myself with my eyes. I could do it. I could. I moved all the way here, dealt with my ass of a mate, and made a new friend. Two of them!

This... this was just a dress!

With that thought in mind, I opened the door and walked out. I must've been too confident because both of them stared at me. I hesitated in my next step, my hands out at my sides holding my dress up so it didn't trail on my carpet and I trip and die in these damn heels.

"What?" I whispered.

"Who the hell are you?" Molly grinned. "Where has my shy little baggy-clothed friend gone?"

I blushed and turned my head away from her in embarrassment.

"You look great!" She squealed again.

Sean groaned at her volume, and I turned to look at him. He grimaced at Molly before noticing my stare and softened his approach.

"You look amazing." He smiled.

I dipped my head in gratitude. "Thanks, guys. I feel... weird."

"You're like a princess, an elegant, sexy princess." Molly laughed.

Sean rolled his eyes but stepped toward me with something in his hand. "This is for you, too."

A gold necklace hung from his large hands, and I smiled in appreciation. He lay it across my neck and fastened it from behind. His fingers were warm on my back and I shivered, my wolf disliking the intimate touch from another male. In her eyes, only her mate should touch our neck. A part of me agreed with her.

"Still got your earrings in?" Molly asked.

I nodded and pushed my hair back to show her. She hummed in thought before walking over to my dresser and rummaging around. She strutted back over to me, hair grips in her fingers. Even in heels, she was still taller than me, but I then realised she had put her six-inch ones on.

I felt her clip the sides of my hair back so that only a couple of baby hairs hung down my face.

"There. Now we can see you-no hiding." She smiled, rubbing my shoulders. "You're gonna be okay. You got Sean."

"Who has you?" I laughed. "You're gonna get drunk and wander off somewhere."

She smirked. "Probably. But I do have a date. His name is Luka, and he likes to run."

I and Sean looked at each other and stifled a laugh. She frowned at us, her eyes darting between who she was going to scold, her hands on her hips.

"Oh whatever, you guys can kiss my princess' ass." She stuck her tongue out.

I sniffled back the humoured tears, fearful of ruining my make-up. Molly noticed and relaxed her stance, letting a small laugh fall from her lips.

"Seriously though, I do. He's gonna meet me at half-past as he has to finish up patrols for Alpha Titan's arrival."

The moment his name left her lips, I sobered up. I would see him for the first time in weeks, and I wasn't sure about it. I turned to look at Sean and he must've noticed my worried eyes because he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and side hugged me.

'I'll be with you, don't worry. Say the word and we will leave if it's too much.' He smiled.

His sudden availability the past few weeks has confused me. He was so busy when Phoenix first left, and now he had all the time for me. Ever since we spoke to Charlie.

It was odd.

I smiled at him in thanks and went to reply when Molly clapped.

"Let's go! We're already ten minutes behind schedule!"

"And you say you're not warrior material," I muttered.

She rolled her eyes at me, her bossy demeanour staying as she ushered us out of the bedroom. Sean helped me down the endless stairs as Molly took them like a pro.

"Why'd I have to live on the second-highest floor," I grunted as we reached the bottom.

Sean laughed. "Alpha wanted you close."

I grumbled a growl, Cel loving the fact her mate thought about her closeness. "If he did, he would've claimed me by now."

Sean rubbed my hand with the arm that wasn't holding my elbow. "He's not gonna know what hit him tonight."

"Thanks for this, b-by the way. I've never felt so..."

He nudged me to quieten, causing me to stumble. "Don't mention it. Your true potential was just hiding under all that hair. I can only feel sorry for the hacksaw that cut it off."

I pushed him back with a scoff, but he only laughed as he led me out the front doors. Molly's so-called date must've arrived early because she stumbled off to a blonde man, screaming his name.

I noticed a lot of wolves making their way to where the ballroom/meeting room was. Someone had laid a wooden path made from square planks and I realised it was so people in heels could walk along the grass. Thank goodness, because I could barely walk on the hard floor anyway, let alone grass!

We walked in silence, and I turned to look at Sean once again. "I quite like this height difference now."

Sean turned his light grey eyes to stare at me. He was only about four inches taller now. He stood at six feet tall, so was nearly a foot taller before, but these heels helped a lot.

"I don't." He smirked. "I can't hide you as well."

We laughed together and continued the rest of the way. Once we reached the ballroom, the wolves guarding the doors bowed for us to enter, muttering Sean's title. He nodded his head back in thanks and led me inside.

Here goes nothing.

••••••

© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Heather Miller, aka XDeafening_SilenceX on Wattpad