Chapter 55

Kol's prediction came true and Esther quickly came after the call, not even taking the time to ask questions. It seemed as if her brain decided to suddenly take a vacation once the word 'pregnancy' fell into her ears. Twenty minutes after the call, the witch found them in the wood at the edge of the town. Nora was leaning her back against the trunk of a tree while Kol was standing beside her, his fingers running softly through her fiery red hair.

"Kol!" Esther said hastily as she made her way to them, her eyes scanning Kol's expression before they landed on Nora and, inevitably, Nora's stomach. Her face shifted slightly as wonder and fear flashed through her gaze. Sucking in a breath, her voice came out as a whisper when she spoke again, "Is it true?"

A bubble of laughter rose in Kol's throat and he covered the smile spreading across his lips with a hand. "You mean, is it true that you are going to be a grandmother?"

Following his words and playing the part of a newly pregnant woman, Nora covered her stomach with one hand and glanced up shyly at him, the expression on her face doing wonders for his poor heart that suddenly missed a beat. Why couldn't they already be on that private island he had yet to buy? Although he couldn't make his wife pregnant, he certainly didn't mind trying.

Nora easily picked up on his mood and gave him a wink. "And you a father, my love." Turning to Esther, she caressed her stomach languidly and smiled softly. "Nature must have felt sorry for us. All these years, we have been trying for a baby, using all kinds of spells. It never worked yet now here you are, wishing to make my husband and his siblings a family again, and we find out that I am pregnant."

Of course, it was impossible for a woman to know she was pregnant after only two days even with modern technology but as a woman from the past, Esther didn't know that. No matter how much Esther acted like a modern woman, there were still some things in her attitude that showed just how old she truly was. The world was different from before and a lot of her knowledge was now obsolete - apart from her magic. Moreover, her children being vampires, Kol seriously doubted his mother had kept up with human advancement in gynecology from the Other Side.

"This..." Esther furrowed her brow and looked away from her daughter-in-law's stomach, her lips forming a thin line. A second later, she seemed to have reached a conclusion and stepped forward, reaching her hand out. Then she stilled and stopped herself, lowering her arm. "How is it possible? Kol is a vampire. He's not supposed to be able to have children," she pondered aloud and Kol could have sworn there was a hint of remorse in her gaze.

It was just a hint though and Nora either didn't notice or didn't care. Most likely the latter. "Ah, but even if Kol is a vampire, I'm not."

"What are you, then?" Esther asked back, her voice laced with curiosity and wariness.

"A Pokemon," Nora responded seriously. "More exactly, a shiny Charizard."

Kol almost face-palmed himself when he heard his wife speaking nonsense in such a righteous voice but somehow managed to stop. Exhaling, he decided to add his own little details to the lie. "It's a rare race. Everyone wants to catch them."

"I... don't think I ever heard of this race," Esther frowned. "Those people must be very well hidden."

"Well, you know, the world is full of wonders," Kol shrugged and chuckled. "Anyway, the last witch we found said our only hope was to bind my brothers and Rebekah to me so that the magic in my blood would increase. Unfortunately, I didn't want my brothers to know about Nora so we never tried..."

As soon as Kol finished speaking, Esther stilled and the wood went quiet. Just like in a horror story, the birds stopped chirping and the wind stopped ruffling the yellowing leaves on the trees surrounding them. Acting like everything was perfectly normal in the world, Nora placed a hand on his arm as if to try to pacify him. "Obviously, he was a fraud. Look, we didn't do anything and I'm pregnant."