Chapter 54

Mystic Falls was a quaint little town with nothing much to do. Which, considering the far too many supernatural creatures gathered there, was quite ironic. The nearest movie theater was more than half an hour away by car and there was a grand total of two restaurants - the Little Gourmet that mainly proposed elaborated and expensive dishes, and the Mystic Grills which also served as a bar and gathering place for people of all ages. It opened early in the morning to serve the town drunkards and closed late in the night.

It was the latter that Kol and Nora chose to feed the monster hiding in her stomach. Having only recently returned to the twenty-first century, Nora ordered the weirdest breakfast Kol had ever seen and quickly started stuffing her face full of French fries dripping with strawberry milkshake. The odd combination disgusted him as much as it did the waitress.

"Do you really like this?" Kol couldn't help asking Nora when he noticed the content expression on her face. Which disappeared when she heard him. Her eyes narrowed threateningly and she pointed a fry at him, a drop of the pink liquid splashing on the table.

"Hey, don't diss the food, hon. It's been so long since I had a good milkshake." She paused to take a bite of her fry then added without an ounce of shame, "And I was craving French fries."

This, of course, didn't actually need to be mention as it was quite obvious. Looking at her, Kol could almost believe she went centuries without her favorite food.

"Yes, but both? At the same time?" he commented with a wry smile, earning himself a shrug.

"It gets mixed up in the stomach, you know."

This... made sense. Somehow. But damn did he wish it didn't, especially when she was pointing a fry at him again.

"Want to try?"

"Er..." His eyes trailed over her greasy fingers to the milkshake dripping on the table and he grimaced. "Not today..." Or ever.

"Bet you wouldn't say the same if I was dipping them in blood," Nora scoffed. "Remember, you did that once and even stole my fries. Which, you know, is definitely a crime."

As Kol watched his wife eating with a fond look, the number of fries in her place decreased at an alarming pace. At this time of the day, several tables were already occupied and more than half of the customers were looking at Nora with disgusted grimaces. When he noticed that, Kol didn't hesitate to glare black at them. A good thing his glare was still effective, the sweet scent of fear spreading through the air and bringing a smirk to his lips.

At one point, Nora patted her stomach and sighed happily, "Damn, that's some nice food."

Kol's smirk widened as he recalled a time when she had banished French fries from her diet for a few decades. Nora as a phoenix couldn't die and never aged. However, unlike a vampire, it didn't mean her body was completely impervious to changes. Meaning, his lovely wife could still put on weight.

After their wedding, Nora, who had missed junk food badly, insisted on eating French fries at almost every meal. It wasn't long before she couldn't fit her clothes anymore. And as most women in the world knew, losing weight was easier said than done. In less than a year, his little darling was overweight in spite of her efforts and many tears were shed. Even - or especially - when he tried to comfort her with compliments.

Every morning, they would go running in the forest ignoring the shocked stares of Middle Ages men and women, and Nora would turn into a cute, sweaty, little tomato with her face unnaturally red and her breath ragged.

She had never been happier to time-travel and regain her former appearance than that time.

"Stop thinking about that," Nora suddenly scowled even though he didn't utter even a single word.