Chapter 49

Mystic Fall was a five hours' drive from Charlotte. The expression the taxi driver wore when Nora informed him of their destination was truly memorable. The man certainly didn't expect to make such a long drive when he woke up this morning.

As for his expression when he noticed Nora and Kol changing in the back of the car... Well, that one was absolutely fantastic. So much, in fact, that Kol had to help Nora remove the trace of eyeliner on her cheek when she burst into laughter while putting on makeup.

"Maybe we should have left earlier and just put on some casual clothes instead of going shopping," Nora sighed as Rebekah's phone rang out in the car. Again.

They had just reached Virginia and still had more than an hour's drive before they reached Mystic Falls.

"Please darling," Kol scoffed, "have you forgotten your own words? The plan is to make a grand entrance."

"Casual clothes in a ball sounds original."

"No, just tasteless. Nora, we have money. We need to show it and make sure my family understands we don't need them." He paused and glanced at her with a glint in his eyes. "That, and seeing you all dolled up is a feast to the eyes."

Nora rested her chin in the palm of her hand. "Right," she drawled with a smirk, "and your decision has nothing to do with a certain vampire sister you want to annoy by being very late to the ball?"

"Touché," he grinned. "But you do look beautiful."

"Well, you are not so bad yourself, hon." She leaned in and whispered by his ear, "Should I call you little beauty?"

Her breath on his skin sent shivers down his spine and a sweet feeling crept in his heart.

"Play nice, darling," he laughed, giving her a slight pinch at the waist. "Don't start something we can't finish."

"Alright... Little beauty."

Her smile was seductive and confident, well aware of the power she had on him. And that smile of hers only grew bigger when they got out of the car at half past eight, more than one hour after the beginning of the ball.

Kol was wearing a black tuxedo with his hair brushed back. Next to him, Nora's multicolored dress was rather eye-catching. The top was form-hugging while the lower part of the dress was made of several layers of gauze that fell right above her ankles.

Kol tucked her hair behind her ear and couldn't stop himself from kissing her briefly, leaving Nora with no other choice than to pull out a handkerchief to wipe off the red lipstick on his lips. Afterward, they walked up the cobblestones path leading to the mansion, Nora's left arm wrapped in Kol's right one and Rebekah's phone landing in one of the bush to keep the leaves and branches company with its shrill ringtone.

A human stood by the front door. "Your invitation?"

"We don't have one," Kol gave the man a polite smile even though he was struggling to keep himself from rolling his eyes. Why would he ever need an invitation to a ball organized by his own crazy family?

"Then, my apologies but I cannot allow you to enter."

Acting coy, Nora brought her hand up to hide her smirk and said with a giggle, "Oh it's fine, dear. Do you have a preference for your place of burial?"

Kol flashed the man his fangs just when Nora finished speaking. The human immediately paled and stumbled back.

"Now, dear, may we go inside, or do I need to call Rebekah Mikaelson to let her know someone stopped her brother, Kol Mikaelson, from attending the ball?" Nora asked, making a show of running a finger underneath Kol's eyes where dark veins had spread.