Part Ten - 9 Months Later...

It's been 9 or so months since we last talked. I'm sure you can guess what that means. Yep. Anna is currently in labour. Coincidentally, so is Niamh – Patrick's wife. That means that me and him are waiting together, outside their rooms, which happen to be next to one another. It's been just under 7 hours now and I think it's nearly go time.

"You ready for this?" Patrick asked me, as we both looked ahead at our respective doors we were going to go through soon enough. "Nope. You?"

"I thought I would be but no, I'm not." We sat in silence for a minute.

"You remember when we met?"

"Course I do. We talked about The Flash in the queue to get lunch." I chuckled as he got it exactly right. "Yeah. Who'd have thought that 14 years later we'd be best friends and having kids on the same day?" He chuckled with me and it dawned on both of us just how insane our lives have been. We met on our way to get some rubbish chicken wraps from the school canteen in year 7. Now we're sat next to each other about to both become dads. Life really is crazy. You never know what's going to happen. "You remember the girl you lost your virginity to?" He asked me. He tried not to laugh but he couldn't hold it back as I answered, "Yeah, she's in there giving birth." It was true. Anna's the only girl I've ever been intimate with. Sure, it might've been nice when I was younger to try more but I don't mind that it never happened that way. I found a girl I loved and stuck with her. Look where we are now. "I can't believe you were a virgin until you were 20." I gave him a playful jab in the arm and we laughed together.

"14 years." I said quietly. "Who'd have thought, hey?" We fell back into silence, with smiles on our faces, as we waited the last 10 minutes out. Niamh's door opened first and a doctor came out. "Mr. Weatherford, we're ready for you in here now." I looked at him as he looked back at me. I gave him a nod and a reassuring smile. He had this. It'd be okay. The door closed behind him and I was on my own in that long, empty, white hallway. There was nothing to look at. I was just left with my own imagination. Which is never a good thing. I tried not to think of bad things and I actually didn't for once. I just thought about my wife – oh, wait, I didn't mention that. Yeah, me and Anna got married a month back. She was pregnant as hell but she still looked drop dead gorgeous.

As I waited to be called in, I thought about my own life. It's been a helluva ride. I've married the girl I love. I'm having a kid with her. I live in my dream house. My career is incredibly successful. I've written two shows – one a teen drama and the other an epic fantasy story – and I've just had a film script purchased from me. I'm not short on cash and I'm living my dream. I don't think I could be happier. My best friend is currently in with his wife as she gives birth and I'm about to do the same. Life's good.

"Sam?" That voice. Olivia? I turned to my right and there she was. My other best friend. She looked healthy and very tanned, which made sense. She'd just gotten back from a holiday with Matthew. "You made it." I was nearly in tears. My two best friends – people who I consider family at this point – were here for the birth of my child: one of my biggest moments. "Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss this for the world." I smiled at her, and seconds later my name was called to go into the room. The time was here. This was it. It was time to become a dad.

The birth went well. There were no complications or issues. Anna is healthy, the baby is healthy, and I'm one happy dad. The baby was a girl, so, like I've wanted since I first started thinking about baby names, we called her Alannah. It means numerous things and is derived from Old Germanic, Irish and Gaelic but is most often thought to mean 'my darling', which she is. She's my baby girl and I don't want her to ever forget that.

Giving our wives a much-needed rest after their hours-long labour, me and Patrick sat together with our children. His was a boy, Noah, and mine, as you know, was a girl. He proposed the idea of them eventually marrying and merging our family trees and, whilst I did genuinely consider it, I think we should let life do its thing; because if I've learnt anything these past 8 years of writing about my life, it's that there's always a reason and life has a plan. It'll work out in the end.

Olivia came and sat by us, and she was clearly feeling proud of us both for becoming dads. "So, guys," she began and me and Patrick both knew where she was going, "have either of you chosen a godmother yet?" Patrick gave her a look that told her he had, without words ever needing to be said. "Sam?"

"Anna wanted one of her sisters to be the godmother." Olivia looked a little disappointed but understood. "I'm just kidding you," I laughed lightly, not wanting to disturb Alannah, "we actually want you to be the godmother. Patrick's already agreed to be the godfather." Patricks smiled at Olivia as she looked past me at him. "Yes. Obviously, yes." She seemed over the moon with it. I think the only time I've seen her happier was on her wedding day, which makes sense. "Can I hold her?" I took a deep breath – this was a big deal but I trusted her. "Of course, you can." I handed Alannah over to her godmother and Olivia seemed like a completely different person. A side of her I'd never seen came out. She was a natural carer. It was sweet to see.

The moment was disturbed by a phone call and I got up to answer it. My eardrums nearly burst as I put the phone to my ear and a celebratory party blower was blown right down the microphone. "Congrats on the kid, Sam!" It was Eddy. I hadn't heard his voice in 3 months. It was nice to know he'd remembered. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there but I get in in three days and if you'll have me, I'd be delighted to visit."

"I'll ask Anna, but if she's up for it, then come round. It's been nearly two years since I actually saw you. Plus, I'm sure Alannah would like to see her uncle Eddy." I smiled and I couldn't help but feel like Eddy was doing the same half way across the world. "Alannah? Nice name."

"Yeah, I think so."

We talked a little longer before he had to go and I returned to my family. Olivia was gently rocking Alannah, Anna was sleeping well, and Patrick was admiring his kid.

If someone had asked me, 7 years ago where I saw myself today, it wouldn't be here. But I'm so glad this is what my life is. I've got my two best friends, I've got my wife, and I've got my daughter all in one place. I couldn't be happier.