Chapter 14: Starburst

Start from the beginning

"I knew it." She says.

"I just, I've never been on a date before. I wanted to do it right."

"So, what advice did the internet give you?"

"According to the google gods, I should ask questions and get to know you. Never make it about me. Stay away from my phone and make lots of eye contact."

"Sounds good to me."

"Okay, so question one, what is your favorite color?"

"I don't know, that's tough. I like all colors, like an artist I see the potential for all colors to be beautiful if used in the right way."

"So you don't have a favorite?"

"My favorite is rainbow, does that count?"

"Sure," I shrug. "Now you ask me something."

We pause to take bites of our food, giving Hilary time to think of something to ask.

"Okay," She takes a sip of her juice. "What made you want to get a job?"

"It was this whole thing actually. You see last summer Zoey and I really wanted to go to this concert, I didn't know the band, but Zoey did. Her sister showed her. But Zoey couldn't get money to go so I got a job so I could buy our tickets."

"Awe, that's sweet, you're a good friend."

"There's more." I take a bite of my sandwich. "After I got paid when I went to buy the tickets, it was sold out. So, I asked Zoey if she wanted to do anything else, it was for her birthday. She said she wanted to go to an amusement park, which I did not have enough money for. So I kept the job, worked more hours until I did have money. I bought our tickets, her sister dropped us off, and we had a great time. I always planned to quit my job after the summer, but Zoey was always riding her bike in the rain, and so was I, so I decided to keep working there until I have saved up for a car so I could take us both to school."

"You and Zoey were so close," she comments.

"Were," I echo.

"I'm sure she'll get over whatever she's mad about soon. You're a good friend. She'll see that."

I sigh.

"Don't stress about it," she grabbed my hand and interlocked our fingers.

"Yeah, I know, I just... really messed up with her. I was stupid and let my emotions cloud my judgment. I don't even care that she doesn't want to date me or anything, I just want my friend back."

"She'll come around." She assures me.

"Okay, my turn to ask you something," I change the subject.

"Ask away."

"Out of all your hobbies, which one is your favorite?"

"ooh, tough one. Hmm, I'd have to say it's a tie. Between art and writing. I just like pretty things, especially If they sound and look pretty. I really like poetry and writing music. But art also holds a special place in my heart."

"Why's that?"

"Because it's how I met you." She pokes me in the nose.

I giggle.

"My turn, what's the best gift you've ever gotten?" she asks.

"Okay, don't laugh, when I was little my mom bought me this spiderman costume for my birthday. I felt so freaking cool. I swear I wore that thing until it ripped and fell to pieces. She has pictures of me playing in it. I swear I thought I was a real-life superhero."