TWO

Before

Rayna was confused- to say the least. She wasn't far from home per se, but she was far enough, and although the sun was shining and the birds were chirping, things were about to go down hill real fast.

She had to drive an hour from home for a mandatory meeting in Atlanta, leaving her brother, which she hated due to his current state. He was in a coma, it had been more then two weeks with no signs of change, and no signs of waking up. But she knew he would.

What if he dosent?

She chose to ignore the little voice in her head.

"Ray, I think you should come home." Shanes concerned voice floated through the car, as Rayna's phone was placed on the passenger's seat on speaker.

The woman took a sip from her coffee before responding, "Yeah, I know you do babe," she said knowing Shane was worried about the virus going around.

At first they had brushed it off, it started in California, but they figured it was far and would
probably never make it to them. However as time went on it started moving closer and closer.

"I just escaped the traffic jam, im not sure I wanna dive right back in, and I have the meeting soon." She told him.

"Yeah I know," he sighed, "just be careful and call me if something happens, okay?"

"You know I will," She assured him, "You're going to see Rick after your shift right? You know I won't be home till later these things always take long and there's bound to be traffic on the way back"

"Yeah I'm going," Shane replied.

"Okay good, let me know if there's any changes," She turned the wheel of her vehicle as she pulled into her destination, "I gotta go, but I'll call you at lunch."

"Okay, I have to go too, love you sunshine."

"Yeah I love you too."

<><><><><>

Rayna was relieved, but she was also sort of disappointed, not for the situation, but because she felt like she had wasted the day. There had been an anonymous call made about a potential abusive child endangerment situation, Rayna had been the one assigned to make a surprise visit, but luckily the whole thing had been a mis-understanding.

The anonymous call mistook a rowdy new puppy who was breaking things for an abusive parent throwing things at their child. And although some may think that is a bullshit excuse, it was fairly obvious it was the truth when the puppy knocked over a lamp with in the first few minutes of her visit.

Also Rayna's job had made her very good at getting a read on people, even people who knew how to hide their aggressive or ill tempered behavior, and she was positive that the parents were good people.

So now she was ready for lunch, the diner was eerily quiet. It was also empty, as Rayna stepped in she only spotted one other customer who sat at the counter with his back facing her. Along with him was a woman who she assumed was a waitress because of her uniform, and a man in an apron behind the counter who flipped a burger on the griddle.

It was the kind of diner that only had a few tables, you could see the whole room from the front step, and you could see the food being made if you sat on one of the bar stools up front.

Rayna didn't usually have to go to work in Atlanta, so she wasn't the familiar with the diner, but she liked the size, it felt more comfortable, especially since she was by herself.

She ordered her food, and sat patiently ready to eat her lunch and head back home. The day should have been simple, it should have been easy.

But then she heard a scream.

<><><><><><>

VOTE AND COMMENT PLEASE <3

Side note: I know nothing about social workers. I know all the things that just happened. were probably not realistic but just roll with it.

.