Chapter Fourteen: The Hunter

Start from the beginning

Beams groaned collapsing to the floor. Smoke rose into the air filling the open space with a hazy fog. A broken water pipe spewed water out from the pile. The rubble shook before a red wing broke through the to expand to the sky.

"Watch out!" Drexler folded his wings around him and Mia as the building collapsed around them.

After a moment Drexler unfurled his wings and took in the scene. "Oh, shit." Mia says softly.

The bar was gone entirely within mere seconds, destroyed into nothing more than concrete and splintered wood. The Hunter was massive compared to Drexler. Drexler felt like a poodle next to a mammoth. The Hunter's sheer size had Drexler gaping at him in awe and equal amounts of trepidation.

"Uh, Drex...what do we do?" Her mouth hung open, staring up at the Hunter, fear making itself visible on her face. "Dre--drex...uh...." She clawed for words but couldn't grasp any.

Even the Hunter's goons were buried in the rubble, their limbs sprouting from the debri like plants. The Hunter used those goons to track him down and now that he has Drexler, there was no need for the extra hands. They probably didn't even know he was..."Just like me..."

"If we're the same then why are you going through all of this trouble to make my damn life a living hell? What's the damn purpose!?" Drexler snarled. "Answer me!"

The Hunter, if that's what he should even be called, peered down at Drexler, his black orbs absorbing all sunlight. Steam leaked from his nostrils, his serpentine tongue slithering along the sides of his lips. His wings were at least two bus sizes, whereas Drexler was more like a Minivan size.

"It's been so long since I've seen another of our kind. I thought I killed them all but it turns out that a few still linger, hiding under rocks, coveting themselves away like cowardly rodents. They cower and rightfully so. Fear of the Humans you stink of and fear of the unknown. Hatchlings new to the world are so naive, not knowing the first thing about themselves, or where they come from. Lost to time, but that's to be expected since not many live any more and the ones that do shall die!" The Hunter Lunged for Drexler, his massive jaw snapping the spot he and Mia were in mere seconds ago. The Hunter's sharp fangs leaked of saliva as they chomped nothing but air.

"Hold on!" Drexler roared at Mia as she clung to his arm. With a strong flap of his wings he shot off from the ground and into the clouds above. Away from the buildings far below and somewhere more remote preferably.

"Ok, what the fuck is going on? There's more you? I mean I'm not even sure what I mean." Mia says exasperated.

"I think he's the same as me, only much older. But what I don't understand is why is he hunting his own? I don't understand any of his motives or really anything for that matter."

"You're assuming he needs a motive. I don't know about you, Drex, but that dude scares me."

"I know. He scares me a bit too. Just hold on, we'll land somewhere down below." A large shadow loomed over them. Instinctively Drex turned sideways aiming his nose downwards, gaining speed as they broke through the clouds.

A loud shriek tore the clouds apart, dispersing them as the large red creature flew after them. Clouds whipped past Drexler's snout. Mia's loud shrieks coiled around Drexler's heart. Tightening his hold, he promised he wouldn't let go.

The speed and ferociousness of the Hunter were unlike anything he's ever had to face, forcing him to push himself to his limits. To be faster, to be quicker, and to stop the behemoth before he does real damage.

"You can't escape!" The Hunter was gaining on them with increasing speed.

The Hunter pulled back it's wings that were large enough to block out the sky as he neared, his clawed feet stretching as they reached for him. Drexler spiraled out of the way as the Hunters claws grasped nothing but air, the clouds wisped around their bodies as they both plummeted towards the earth. Mia's loud screech would be deafening if not for the danger.