Chapter Fourteen: The Hunter

Drexler's wings sprouted from his back expanding wide and with a mighty pull he flapped his wings while pulling Mia tight against his chest to keep her secure to him. His wings created a huge gust sending everyone flying to the floor.

The hunter rolled back taking cover behind the bar. Drexler's transformation completed itself with steam billowing from his flaring nostrils. His horn lengthened on his forehead, it's sharp point glinting off the shaking ceiling lights. His eyes peered out from beneath his protruding brows, his target hiding behind the bar.

His clawed foot sank into the floorboards beneath his feet. His talons digging and shredding the wood with each step. His tail swooshed menacingly behind him, tables and stools were sent flying to the sides of the room.

"I have to say, I am not disappointed!" The hunter laughed from behind his cover. His laugh ringing loudly in Drexler's ears. "A Draconian alright. It itches at you on the inside doesn't it? It calls to you and beckons you to take over and run rampant. A race of Dragon kin, a lost group forgotten throughout time. Though their blood still runs deep in the world the Humans inhabit today. You have the blood of your ancestor. Usually it skips generations but it's been so long but finally. I finally found another one. I found you.

With a ferocious growl, Drex grabbed the bar counter and ripped it away, splintering wood and metal. The hunter was knelt down sneering up at Drexler. Normally he would have found this funny but for some reason, Drexler found no humor. Instead, he found uncertainty crawling through his veins. His boiling blood demanded for carnage and yet, something within those obsidian depths of hell stopped him. There was something strange about this guy, and Drexler couldn't put his finger on it.

Taking a step back away from the bar, Drexler finally looked around the room. The Hunter's hooligans are standing back up and approaching with weapons drawn. Small fire arms and blunt objects, things that simply annoy Drex.

"Why don't you just leave him alone! Why are you even after him? For what purpose? None of this makes sense." If looks could kill, the Hunter would be a withering blob melting under her hardened glare.

"Questions. So many questions. Funny though as it was I, who had the questions. Hmmm, what to do..." He taps his chin thoughtfully. His white dress shirt is crisp and clean under his black vest. His weathered eyes were an endless abyss pulling you into their cold void. They swiveled towards Mia. Instinctively Drexler tightened his hold on her.

"I suppose a Human wouldn't understand. We are Draconian. A superior race to these Humans. We are proud creatures, and we bow to no one.""

"What?" Drexler asked, surprised by Hunter's reply.

The Hunter meets Drexler's eyes and that's when Drexler knew. He felt it, a familiar connection, a connection he couldn't explain. But, he felt something when looking at the Hunter. Something deep. Something primal. That uneasy feeling he had was because the Hunter may very well be just like Drexler.

"How can that be?"

"Why not? You dare try to understand Nature? This is the work of Nature, a change in the evolutionary chain. A step up if you ask me. I have to say, you remained hidden for quite some time."

"What do you mean by that? Why were you even searching for me?" Mia looked back and forth between Drexler and the Hunter. Her mouth formed an expressive 'o' look that had a hint of a smile ghost Drexler's face. She had such adorable comical expressions, ones he'd never tire of.

"I know this may all seem rather sudden, but in the grand scheme of things I believe it's long overdue. I'm just like you, or shall I say, you're just like me." The Hunter slowly grinned. His skin went from a healthy tone to river red. His ears elongated into points, long white hair draped down the side of his growing neck. It's length is growing with his body. Wing's larger than Drexler's grew and pushed through the building ceiling raining down debris.