The Voynich Manuscript

En başından başla

Harry looked at him uncomprehendingly. "What did the others say... did that upset you?"

"The Hogwarts elves were furious, Harry Potter sir! They were offended, and some were crying," Dobby said in a squeaky voice.

"Why were they so angry? The letter only contained positive things, it was intended to help them."

Dobby shook his head sadly. "The Hogwarts house-elves are proud to work in such a large and ancient castle. Plus, we all love working for the great Albus Dumbledore! Dobby spoke to the great and wise Headmaster yesterday, Harry Potter, sir! Dobby is proud to work for Albus Dumbledore and to keep his secrets! That's why the other elves are so mad at the letter, they don't want a day's vacation and they certainly don't want money for the privilege of working for such a good and powerful wizard!"

Harry nodded understandingly. "Okay, I get that. And you like the letter because you're a free elf?"

Dobby smiled broadly. "Besides goodness itself, Harry Potter is also incredibly smart!"

Harry felt his cheeks redden from the little elf's praise. "Thank you, Dobby." He looked critically at the elf again and tilted his head inquiringly. "But you still haven't told me why you were so upset."

Dobby looked at Harry desperately and rose hastily. He took a table lamp from a desk and hit it in the head. "Naughty Dobby!"

Harry blinked in surprise, but got up almost immediately and very quickly got to the chastening house-elf. "Whoa, whoa! Calm down, Dobby! Why did you do that?"

Harry decisively took the table lamp from the house-elf's bony fingers and set it back on the desk. "Please, Dobby, don't hurt yourself. You don't have to tell me if you can't or shouldn't, but don't hurt yourself."

Dobby seemed calm again and looked at Harry earnestly. "Dobby has to tell Harry Potter, but Dobby is ashamed."

Harry took his little friend's hand and squeezed it. "Dobby, we've been through enough in my second year at Hogwarts to get over the shame. Tell me, it's probably not as bad as you think."

Dobby walked with flat ears to the pile of school uniforms Harry had draped on the back. He picked up a random spencer with his long fingers that still had green accents.

"Look, Harry Potter!"

He snapped his fingers, but the piece of clothing didn't change. Harry looked at the elf in surprise. "Um, Dobby, nothing changes?"

Dobby nodded vigorously. "Exactly, Harry Potter! Dobby has failed! When the other elves told Dobby that they can't change the uniforms to the correct House colors, Dobby laughed. Dobby said Harry Potter was a true Gryffindor and there was no reason why the clothes shouldn't change. But here we are!" Dobby snorted loudly.

"Dobby." sniff. "Has." wail. "Failed!" The little elf now broke down into tears. Harry looked a bit awkward and examined the clothes critically.

"Is there perhaps an enchantment on the clothing that prevents it from changing?" Harry wondered aloud, thinking that would be exactly a thing for Tom to do.

Dobby shook his head vigorously. "Dobby has already tested that, Harry Potter sir! The only reason Dobby can think of is if Harry Potter is a descendant of Slytherin and carries it through- err, endorsing it- then the clothes won't change! But Dobby knows that's bullshit- ahhh, pardon me! - Harry Potter has been in Gryffindor for three years and has always worn the colors with gusto!"

Harry stiffened and looked startled from the garment in his hands, to the ring on his finger. "Endorsing it... what you were just talking about? Is an Heir ring enough?" Harry asked softly.