25 | Accepting Apologies

Without much else to do at Camp Jupiter, whose name I think should change after I dethrone the bastard, I flashed back by to my palace. It was getting late and I only had three more days to prepare for what would be the hardest duel of my life. Regardless, I aimed to win and wouldn't accept anything less.

1144 words

Percy

After flashing to the palace, I went to the kitchens to grab some food, but the doors were locked. Then I remembered I was a god and could either flash in or break it down or summon my own food.

I know what you're thinking. "Percy, how does one forget they're a god? Are you that stupid?" Well, even gods have their dumb moments, ok? Zeus is proof enough of that. His entire immortal life is a dumb moment, if you ask me.

So anyway, I flashed in, grabbed food, and decided to look over the requests I got from the elected officials of my people. It was usually about monetary disputes, laws they wished for me to veto, or appearances they wanted me to make. The laws were easy enough to sort through and I declined any appearances within the next month. I doubt I'd have time between fighting Zeus and, once I won, reestablishing order on Olympus. But my chamberlain had always handled my money, so I had to be extra careful with that. Looking at past records, any extra funds went to the betterment of the kingdom with an emphasis on child welfare, profits were used to forgive debts and offer paid service in either my army or underwater part of my palace (I more used that part to house politicians, host gatherings, call meetings, meet citizens, etc.), and donations were granted to the poorer communities first.

I had to admit that my past chamberlains had done a fantastic job running my accounts. They could have taken advantage of my ignorance, but they didn't. They were loyal or moral or just scared. Yet in any case, they did the right thing.

Just seeing that made me so much more indebted to them. I couldn't help be feel as if I'd robbed the Maris Astérians of any success they may have had had they been free. And the truth of it is I had—intentionally or not, the system was corrupt and I didn't question it as I should have.

On day 5, I met up with Lucius and a few select representatives. I explained my decision to challenge Zeus. With their permission to battle on their behalf, which I should've gotten first (A/N: oops), I spent the day sparring with Hades, Apollo, Artemis, and Hermes. We were lucky Apollo was also the god of healing because many cuts were made and many bones were broken. At one point, we had to call in Asclepius to heal us because Apollo was too weak. By nightfall, they deemed me ready (not that they'd tell me differently in this situation). Yet I felt none of the reassurance they offered. The stress of what would happen should I fail weighed heavy on my conscience. But the thought of not freeing my people weighed on me even more.

I had a restless night. I recalled my past as best I could, all the mistakes I made, and went through scenario after scenario reimagining how I could've done better. How I could have avoided the mistakes. How I could have changed people, the gods, the world for the better.

When I woke up on day 6, I took a day of rest to fully prepare my mind as much as my body for the fight to come. I organized for the Maris Astérians to go under Hades's protection should I not come out alive or in any condition to offer true protection to my people. But Lucius didn't like that option.

"Percy," he said, "we will not go into hiding if you don't win. We will fight just as we did in the first battle."

"But so many will die," I pointed out.

"It will be worth it," Lucius stated with such conviction that I didn't dare argue further.

Yet something still bothered me. "How were you so civil to me? How could generations go by without a single Maris Astérian trying to kill me or seek revenge or even talk back to me?! How can you stand to talk to me right now?"

Lucius got a sad look on his face. I almost thought he wouldn't answer. But then, he said, "Life's easier if you learn to forgive without an apology, to accept an apology you never got." There was a slight pause before he laughed humorlessly. "That and we were scared of you. Not as much as Zeus, but still. You're a god. And soon," he added, switching into a hopeful tone, "You will be the king of the gods as well as our king."

I smiled at his confidence in me. And thanked him for it. I knew Abrax would've been proud of his descendants.

"You don't have to stay with me, you know," I explained. "You can go off wherever you'd like. You'll have my protection as my citizens with full freedoms and rights. But you don't need to stay at the palace."

Lucius nodded thoughtfully before replying. "Could we? If we wanted to. Could we keep our jobs?"

"Of course!" I was quick to confirm. "I will of course pay for the work all have done and reparations. And the programs we discussed would help others transition into other occupations. But if you still want to stay in the palace to work and use its amenities, I would be happy for the company."

I was hesitant to admit the last part. To admit I was lonely and selfishly in need of company. It seemed silly since I had the gods and other immortal beings. And it's not like many would judge me for finding comfort in humanity. But even surrounded by so many people, I always felt alone.

A sad smile that somehow showed no pity was sent my way. Lucius didn't give a clear answer. Rather, he asked, "Would you teach me? If I agreed to be your chamberlain still, would you teach me?"

"I'd teach you anything you wanted. Swordsmanship, languages, hell, I'd teach you how to surf if you wanted."

We both laughed merrily at the idea. Our worries gone for a fleeting moment as we both imagined trying to surf. It was very inconsiderate, but I hoped he would stay. I thought we could be good friends.

Nevertheless, I would support him if he wanted to leave too. I could never hold him back more than I already had. Putting these thoughts aside, the rest of the day was spent basking in the sun on the beach and gleefully swimming in the ocean. Not a bad last day should Zeus win. But I wanted more days like that for my people. They needed to know freedom.

So on day 7, I stormed into Olympus with the other gods on my side. We met Zeus and his followers in the throne room. Shit was about to go down.