13 | The Afternoon

I had to take a few seconds to process the information Percy just threw at me, but then I took a deep breath in preparation to speak.

1648 words

Percy

"I'm sorry," Caleb apologized nervously.

I was expecting questions akin to "What are you the god of?" or "Why was it weird to be claimed so late?" or "Why are you a teenager?" or "What's up with your hair?" All would've been valid questions. But instead, Caleb apologized.

I paused to look at him. "You don't need to be sorry."

"No, I do. I am. I shouldn't have punched you. And I shouldn't have run away. You... you were the best teacher I ever had, and I know I wasn't your best student, but I really did try. And I didn't mean for things to get so out of hand."

"It's ok, Caleb. I understand." And I did understand. More than he'd know.

"And I'm not just saying this now because you're a god," he added on hastily. "I mean, please don't smite me, but even if you do, which again, please don't, I'm still sorry."

"I know," I replied with a soft smile. He really was a good kid. "And I wouldn't smite you. I definitely won't now that you've apologized. But I wouldn't have done so in either case."

And awkward silence fell between us as we continued walking. The quiet was ruined by Caleb's loud thinking. I could all but hear his doubts and skepticism.

"Why'd you help me out so much?" Caleb asked. "Was it because I'm a demigod?"

I moved my head thoughtfully. "Yes and no. I know what it's like to be overlooked by teachers. How hard school can be when life outside is only ever throwing you curveballs."

I knew he had a troubles past. I could have found out more had I used my abilities over my hero domain, but I learned quickly that many wished to keep their childhood private. I could certainly relate to that. And I didn't feel it morally right, even as a god, to uncover their secrets without permission. My domain for respect reinforced this decision. So while I could sense that his past was very difficult, I did not know specifics.

"Curveballs?"

"Oh, right. Baseball isn't popular anymore." I sighed.

Out of all the things to explain and all the questions he asks, it's about the word "curveballs". But I clarified my meaning without having to explain the old sport.

"Umm... when life is as disastrous as a pandemic," an appropriate analogy as there have been many over the decades, "it can seem hopeless. I didn't want my class to be another thing you felt hopeless about."

Caleb clearly didn't want to dwell on it anymore because he not-so-subtly changed topics. "So why are you here?"

I decided to grant him relief and went with it. "I wanted to check in with you, but I also teach special sword classes at camp now and then."

"Oh, cool."

"How about I let you catch up with your friends? I heard you got yourself a wicked sword—nicely done, by the way—so I should be seeing you at my lesson later today."