Chapter 0.10

(Ty for 1k reads!)

Asriels POV

The dungeon was supposed to be high level with no mini bosses like this. It would be easy and well paying. We got false information. I set our bags down by the wall as I pulled out my weapons.

'It's too fast for me to do close range, so I'll have to use my bow.' Me and Tress took the back, firing off arrow after arrow at It's scarred face. In It's rage, it knocked the tank girl into the wall. Valerie ran over, but the rat king noticed too soon and was ready to crush her small body.

"VALERIE!" I shouted in warning, but she didn't have enough time to move. I felt dread as I saw It's tail coming down, yet somehow I managed to get over there in time when a strong gust of wind came through. With no time to think, I pulled my sword, cutting It's tail off.

It howled in pain as it brought It's tail closer to its body. Taking the chance, everyone made their move. Valerie healed the tank while the others attacked. 'Where did that gust of wind come from?' I couldn't help but to wonder.

Needless to say, we managed to defeat the giant rat monster. "We should head back and report. We can't handle this dungeon at our level safely. Especially with kids," said Tress. Everyone else agreed, so we packed up our haul and left the dungeon.

Valarie hadn't said a word since almost being crushed. She must be scared to death right now. Oh well, I'm no therapist. I'm also not as nice as I might seem.

We parted ways after splitting up the loot, me heading back to my temporary place by the guild house. Throughout the next few missions, strange occurrences kept happening. For example, my blade catching fire as I struck a monster, or a speed boost from the wind.

It soon became very obvious that I would actually use magic without meaning to. I finally found out how to use my magic, but it was difficult. I had to envision it. Not as easy as it sounds. I had to have all the details down. The accidental magic was formed by the subconscious formulating how it worked.

You need to know facts about your element, like how fire uses air and creates thermal energy. Or how lightning uses static electricity made by clouds. If you know these things by heart, it allows you to form your magic faster.

There's also the survival usage. This automatically activates when you feel yourself or something you care about is in danger. Like the gust of wind that allowed me to save Valerie.

Once you gain better control of your magic, the survival usage goes dormant.  It'll only resurface when you truly need it.

I practiced day by day on my magic, slowly gaining better control. With so many elements, it's hard to raise them all. That's why there are affinities. Since my affinity is magic though, I have to keep them equally strong.

I decided to take a break from being a mercenary, reverting to my old ways. That's right, exploring and living in the woods. I wanted to find the wolves that saw me. They seemed interesting.

(Sorry for short chapter)