16| Past In The Present

Magsimula sa umpisa

And all he could do to give her a little consolation was, to nod and give her that little hug of encouragement when he can.

"He always knew Manik. He always knew what to say, what to do, what to sing, what to do to make me smile. Even in that hospital, he just...", she trailed off as her voice gave way to the tears streaming down her eyes.

Ah! How much it pained Manik!

There was a string of feverish 'okays' from Manik, but they didn't manage to comfort the flame of anguish burning inside of her.

Manik heaved a sigh of relief as he felt Nandini wrap her hands around his waist, meekly hiding her face in his chest, in a bid to let go of some of that weariness. "I miss him so much Manik. I miss him", these were muffled words, but carried the grief suppressed within her since years.

"Nandini look at me", though he had to fight his way, he made Nandini's tear stained eyes, look at his slightly hopeful ones. "People come and people go, but their impressions on your hearts remain forever. You may not have your appa with you right now, but his memories, his teachings, everything is alive in your heart and that is what matters the most".

"You carry him, in your heart wherever you go. It doesn't matter if you can't have him with physically. He's there watching out for you, smiling at how his little girl has grown up to be such a beautiful woman"

"You have been such a strong girl all this while, and he would be really proud of you", Manik completed with a kiss on her head. That monologue, was something Manik hadn't prepared for, but it actually gave Nandini exactly what she needed.

The spirit to carry on, leaving behind the wallows of past.

Her tears had dried, replaced by a strange smile. A smile of contentment, as she looked through the windows, onto the green stretch of gardens down. "You are right Manik. No parent ever likes his child crying for him". And hearing her even Manik's smile widened.

"Come I want to show you something", suddenly Nandini was up in action, taking Manik's hand and dragging him with her to the garden. "Where are you taking me?", Manik's question got a visual answer, "Here".

Standing in front of him, was a colossal structure, made entirely out of glass , standing tall in the middle of the garden. With windows framed by golden frames, Manik for once thought if it's golden colour or the actual gold metal. And yet, more spectacular was the meticulous ceiling painted by hand, which reflected on the floor as shiny as a marble.

"What is this place? This looks like out of a Disney Movie?", it was the only thing that had caught Manik's eyes in the mansion, and Nandini couldn't be happier about it

"What is this place? This looks like out of a Disney Movie?", it was the only thing that had caught Manik's eyes in the mansion, and Nandini couldn't be happier about it. Also, the more surprising fact was this was that place where Nandini spent most of her time here.

"This used to be my solace Manik. The place where I have spent countless nights. Singing, sketching, planning, everything. Whenever I used to feel overburdened or stuck at something, I found myself aching to come here", the shine that Nandini's face had conveyed all the importance of this patio.