James + Leona / Til Death Do We Part

A lot changed in the eight months James and Leona spent away from each other.

James was smoking again. He grew his hair out, letting it fall over his eyes. He no longer worked at the arcade at the boardwalk and focused more on graduating from college. His parents gave him a hard time; they wanted him to pursue law, like they did, instead of cinematography. But he didn't give in. Never again, he decided.

Leona moved into a new apartment and spent most of her free time on the couch, watching the news. She spent less time with her family and got a part-time job as a waitress at a nearby restaurant. Her grades began to slip, as well.

Neither James nor Leona was very keen on company.

However, Cher and Winona Yang ended up at Leona's door on a cloudy day. "We brought you tea," Cher rushed out because Leona didn't seem to be in a good mood. "We just want to talk."

Winona flashed a smile.

So, Leona let them in. For a few minutes, they sat at the kitchen table in silence. The news was reporting on the rising cases of deaths caused by a believed serial killer. "Scary, isn't it?" Cher asked, rubbing her hands together. Leona nodded grimly. "I heard the guy only goes to houses that leave on the porch light after midnight."

Winona reached out and touched her sister's hand, sending her a meaningful look. Cher nodded.

"Leona, we came here to apologize to you," Cher said. Leona, surprised, let her mouth fall open a little. "Our parents were terrible that day. They had no reason to talk that way, especially right in front of you like that. I hope you know that Winona and I don't share their beliefs. We think you're quite exceptional."

Leona didn't know what to say.

"We know what you did that day in the city," Winona added. It was the first time Leona really heard her talk, other than quick pleases and thank yous at the dinner table. "When you scared those boys out of the parking lot? We- we appreciate it."

Winona looked like she was going to cry. She covered her mouth and looked down at the table, shaking her head. Cher put an arm around her.

"We came here to America when we were tiny," Cher explained to Leona. "James was only six then. We were always getting made fun of in school. Kids, as you may know, can be ruthless."

"It was always about our eyes," Winona added quietly. "James struggled the most, I think."

"Winona and James were always getting targeted," Cher said, nodding. "Their eyes are a lot narrower than ours. It was always the low-hanging fruit the bullies would zero in on."

Leona felt a twinge of pain in her chest, knowing that there had been so many instances before that she couldn't stop. She reached over to Winona and took her hand. "I'm so sorry," she said. "I didn't know."

"We just want James to be okay," Winona said, eyes shiny. "We love him so much... We want him to be with someone that loves him and will protect him. Someone that will do all the things he'd do for them in a heartbeat."

Leona tried to bite back the tears, but she couldn't. In seconds, she was almost sobbing. Quickly, both sisters went to comfort her. "I'm sorry," she wailed. "I don't usually cry so much."

"You have nothing to apologize for!" Cher said back, hugging her tightly. "We're sorry for everything...truly!"

"No, I should apologize," Leona cried, trying to wipe her face, only to get new tears rolling down her cheeks. "For my parents. They were so rude, sexist, and ignorant. I should have said something. I love him, and I didn't stick up for him then. I'm sorry."

"We know why you didn't," Winona said, kneeling beside her and holding her hand. "We understand. James understands."

Leona covered her mouth, trying to hold back the sobs. All she wanted, she knew at the moment, was James. And she told them that.

"Then you should go get him," Winona said, smiling. "Because we know he's thinking the same thing about you."

That was how Leona found herself at James' college in the middle of the day, mascara streaks still on her cheeks and hair in disarray, with Cher and Winona in the car fifteen feet away for moral support. She was getting weird looks from students walking past, but she didn't care. James was the only person on her mind.

James was walking out of his 11:00 class, hood over his head and eyes on the floor, when his friend Marcus nudged him. "Isn't that your girl?" He asked, to which James jerked his head up. There, in all her glory, was his Leona.

"James!" Leona yelled when she saw him. James stopped in his tracks, not expecting Leona to jump at him, nearly knocking him down, but she did. In an instant, she burst into tears. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have... I didn't want to... I love you!"

For a second, James didn't move. Leona's heart beat fast, terrified that James didn't love her anymore. But, her worries ceased because James soon hugged her back. "I love you, too," he said, voice wavering a little.

James kissed her cheek.

Leona cupped his face and kissed him on the mouth.

And they stayed like that for hours, students walking past, the sun peeking out from the clouds above.

Later, the five of them walked in the park near the college, chattering about the whole ordeal. James pulled Leona aside as they passed a picnic table and got down on one knee. He pulled out a ring from his jean pocket and smiled at Leona, who smiled back.

Cher and Winona began to cry, hugging each other as James declared his love.

James said, "Will you marry me?"

And Leona said, "Duh."

But they couldn't wait, not after what happened last time. So, Winona and Cher took Leona to get a white dress, and Marcus took James to rent a suit.

Winona gave Leona her barrette for something old and her butterfly necklace for something borrowed. Cher bought Leona a pearl necklace for something new and a blue ribbon to tie in her hair for something blue.

Marcus found a lovely chapel, and the five of them headed over. When they got there, Tania was waiting on the front steps, a bouquet in hand, smiling. Leona almost fell on her face running to hug her. "Here," she said, gently putting the flowers in Leona's hands. "You make a lovely bride, cousin."

"Did you call her?" Winona asked Cher as the cousins embraced. Cher shook her head no. "Then who did?"

James grinned.

The six walked into the chapel, and within an hour, James and Leona were married. On the front steps, Leona threw her bouquet. Cher and Tania both jumped to catch it, but it landed on Winona, who turned red in embarrassment. She glanced at Marcus, who smiled at her shyly.

That night, the six went to El Torito's in their wedding attire, where they ate, made jokes, and laughed.

Leona found James' new hair hilarious, and James wondered how Leona transformed from looking like a homeless woman to a literal goddess in less than two hours.

When they left the restaurant, James secretly threw away his pack of cigarettes, swearing to himself that nothing in the world could make him go back again because Leona was all he truly needed.

James pulled Leona to his chest and kissed her cheek when they went to sleep that night.

She said: "I don't want to live in a world without you."

He said: "I can say the same about you."

And they never did.