James + Leona / Proposal

After the incident on their third date, James and Leona found themselves closer than ever.

At one point, Leona began bringing James food during his breaks at the arcade, much to his delight.

And James began sticking little motivational notes in Leona's school bag so that his encouragement was there with her always.

James came to her door with soup and a stack of movies to watch when Leona became sick with the flu.

And when James got sick with the flu a week later, Leona did the same for him.

Even after three months, the pair talked to each other like they had just met that day, which was apparent to everyone they met.

Leona's cousin Tania, who she lived with, was wary of their relationship, especially after the crying incident. Leona didn't end up telling Tania about the circumstances; she didn't think it was any of her business. So, Tania assumed the worst. From her point of view, James was not stable enough for a serious relationship with her dear cousin. And, being the blabbermouth she was, she let the rest of their family know it.

"Ay, Leona," Leona's mother said to her one day on the phone. "I heard you're seeing someone."

Leona narrowed her eyes at her cousin across the kitchen, who quickly pretended to be filing her nails. "Yes, mamí," Leona confirmed, leaning back in her chair. "I am. His name is James."

"When are you going to bring him around?"

"Ay, mamí, it's still new!" Leona said, annoyed. "I don't want to scare him off. You're so nosy."

"Huh? Nosy?" Leona's mother asked, and Leona just knew she had her hand on her chest, incredulous. "¿Perdóneme? I'm your mother. I'm allowed to get curious about the men in your life. How come I only hear about this boy from your cousin? I should have heard from you."

Leona suppressed an exasperated sigh and shifted in her seat. "Mamí! It's. Still. New." She said, sending a glare to Tania. "And Tania shouldn't have said anything in the first place. All she does is run her mouth."

"Ay, Leona! Don't talk that way about your cousin! What's wrong with you?"

Leona groaned, exasperated, and buried her head into her arms on the table.

"Leona?" Her mother called. Leona didn't answer.

Later, James picked Leona up for their fourth official date. They decided to have a picnic date under the stars, where they ate grapes and sandwiches without the crusts, enjoying each other's company.

She said: "My mother wants to meet you."

And he said: "I want to marry you."

Leona almost choked on a grape. "What?" She asked, eyes wide.

He repeated it.

That time, Leona did choke.

James laughed as he reached over and patted her back until she could breathe again. Then, he hugged her when she began to cry.

He asked: "Why are you crying?"

She replied: "Because I want to say yes!"

James pulled away and began to wipe away her tears. She continued to sniffle as he did so. "I don't want to say yes to someone my parents haven't met yet," she said. "It'll break their hearts if they didn't meet you before."

"Then I'll just have to meet them." James decided.

He smiled and took her hands.

She leaned forward and kissed him.

All the while, her ring waited patiently in James' pants pocket.