Part 19

2 weeks later...

"Thanks for coming"

"Didn't really have a choice so..."

"But you came that's all that matters." My mom calls me randomly to meet her at this coffee shop, yes I'm a dumbass because I showed I mean there's honestly one reason she's here.

"What did I do now?" 

"Nothing I just wanted to talk" 

"Okay talk"

"I know your father and I are hard on you and you tell your sister you think we hate you, but that's not true Charles we love you both equally. We want so much for you but it's like you don't want those things for yourself, that worries us"

"You know I never understood where Camila was coming from when she'd say the same things to me, but I do now, she's getting them from you. You all honestly think I'm doing that bad?"

"Well your father and I don't know how you're doing, you never call us or answer our calls"

"Because you're assholes to me!" I can feel myself getting pissed but I need to keep my shit together, because they always do that to me then blame me for losing it. "I don't need to be told every day how much I'm disappointing you guys."

Sighing she looks down at her coffee mug "I am so sorry if we made you feel unappreciated, it's not fair for us to expect you to be like your sister. I don't speak for your father but I wish you still needed us. Even as a child you were always independent but when you two moved away it's like we didn't matter anymore, my worst fears were being realized."

"So, you made me feel like crap because you wanted me to need you?"

"I know how it sounds"

"Crazy, mom, it sounds freaking crazy"

"I'm sorry"

"You should be"

"We want to do better." She reaches out placing her hand on mine resting on the table, "I spoke to Camila and convinced her to come home after the end of the semester to spend time with us, and I wanted to ask if you'd be up for coming home too? We can all spend the summer together maybe even go on a family vacation like we used to when you were kids."

"This is you trying to fix things?" I sit back pulling my hand away

"This is me trying to be in your life, I don't know anything about you Charlie and that's sad to say because you're my son. Last time we were here you were trying to introduce us to your boyfriend, and we were so worried about attacking you we didn't notice you actually trying." Staying quiet when she brings up Adrian I take a sip of the coffee in front of me, "if it's ok with you I'd really like to meet him again, your sister told me a few things about him it wasn't much but he sounds like a great guy."

"That won't be possible"

"Ok you're not ready I get it, whenever you are though-"

"No mom it can't happen because we don't talk to each other anymore."

"Oh," she looks at me trying to figure it out "what happened?" This is the part I'd say nothing to get the conversation on a different topic, but the way I've been feeling lately maybe it'd be good to get someone else's perspective, other than Cam and Mo who just say it's my fault it ended so bad. "You don't have to tell me"

"We were too different, I didn't know how to give him what he wanted so shit got bad. Every time something was wrong between us I'd try to fix it but I think we both kind of knew it was going to happen"

"I'm sorry Charlie he seemed like such a nice put together young man"

"He is... or was but maybe it was for the best, Adrian could always do better than me and I think he realized it like I knew he would."

"Don't say that you have so much to offer I believe that"

I chuckle "if you actually knew me mom you'd know that's not true, having parents who didn't care about me kind of made me selfish. Because of you guys, I feel like I have to protect myself from the world, I felt like I was never good enough and now it's hard for me to have a basic relationship with a guy I really like."

"Charlie-"

"No, you want things better right?" She nods "so you'll listen to what you and dad made me feel like. I was never as good as Camila, even when we were kids I was the one who got all the strict rules while Camila just lived her life. She got whatever she wanted and you know what I got? Be more like her. It would've been easy to hate her but she's the one who always had my back no matter what. You always wondered how it was possible I got into the same school as her well the truth is it was all her, she made sure to never leave me behind like everyone else did. I didn't have you or dad because you gave your favorite child your attention but honestly mom I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for her." She sits there quiet but also stunned I kept all of this from her, standing up after I look at my watch "I have to go class starts soon"

She stands too "can I call you later? Or stay the day so you and your sister could join me for dinner?"

 "Go home mom, I'll call you"

"Ok" she gets her thing

"And as for coming home this summer I don't know but I will think about it"

"Please do it would mean so much for us to be a family again, believe it or not, I miss you both dearly, the house hasn't been the same since you both left."

"I'll call you," I say before leaving her in the shop.