Chapter Four

I crashed onto the couch as soon as I got home, convinced that I would not be getting up another 305 years, I simply would not be able to handle it.

After jumping out of that window Dahlia started running down the street towards the forest. Just by the glance back at me and the mischievous grin on her face, I knew that this was a race. It seemed that everything between us was going to a competition. I ran after her, determined to get to the unknown finish line before her. The wind was racing through my hair and the smell of sweet lavender flowers filled my senses. As I slowly caught up to Dahlia, I smelt what I assumed was her shampoo, mixed with the smell of the great outdoors, and couldn't help but grin. I saw a large tree in the near distance and made that my goal.

I slammed my hand against it as I stopped myself, laughing and breathing heavily. Dahlia arrived seconds later with an unhappy expression, to say the least. "Who knew Briar could run like that?" She chuckled, just as out of breath as I was.

I smirked and continued to run. She may one-up me in math class, but I was going to obliterate her in this, whatever this was. I knew the somewhat area we were in, knowing that the house with the extravagant garden was somewhere ahead to the left and the pile of strange old wood behind an empty house was direct to our right. Meaning that if I kept running straight ahead, I would get to the small, dirty and far from beautiful pond soon enough.

I slowly felt the ground getting softer under my feet, so I assumed the ground was damper and that we were close to a body of water. I glanced back quickly to see if Dahlia was following and sure enough there was, death glare and all, chasing after me.

I veered into what seemed to be a dead-end off trees, only to come out the other side to see a small pond that hardly was used for anything, by humans and animals alike, just as I had thought. If I knew anything, it was how to get around this neighbourhood. I loved living here in the town of Canmore, Calgary.

I laid down in the grass under the tree by the pond and pulled out my phone, which read 11:56, meaning we have 29 minutes until our break was over. I could get there in time after a ten minutes rest here if I wanted to. I settled that plan mentally.

"Don't be a wuss, get up." She tapped the side of my leg with her stylish boots as soon as she arrived after me.

"I won by the way." I winked as best I could, considering I hardly had any practice.

She chuckled and rolled her eyes. "Sure hun. Well, we have to go back to school, you know. We'll walk in the front doors like we out for lunch or something." She leaned onto the tree and examined her nails, which I noticed were painted a pale yellow colour with small daisies printed on them.

"Daisies are your favourite flower." It came out as more of a statement rather than a question, despite my intentions. I pointed to her shoes with the drawn flowers, her nails and her bracelets.

She nodded and seemingly changed her mind about having to get back to school because she sat leaning against the tree whilst crossing her legs. Dahlia made a very obvious statement unverbally saying, 'I don't like you and I don't want to be here.' Honestly, I couldn't care less, she could leave if she didn't want to stay. I'm sure Dahlia would well rather being seen walking into school rather than with me.

I opened my phone once again and decided to play one of my favourite Taylor Swift songs, The Other Side Of The Door. I listen to it for the sole reason that there was just one line that was such a picturesque romance, even though those romances were beyond cheesy.

Dahlia stared at me almost the entirety of the song as it was playing as if to say that she did not approve of my music taste. She did crack a smile thought when I sang along to my favourite lyric.

"...To stand outside my window, throwing pebbles, screaming "I'm in love with you!'" I sang along quietly.

"So in theory you would want your lover to 'stand outside my window, throwing pebbles, screaming I'm in love with you.'" Dahlia asked, clearly amused by this song and myself.

"In theory." I agreed as the song came to an end. I clicked off my phone and sat up, taking a mental note that she had said 'lover' instead of a boyfriend. Of course, it could just be a coincidence. "Best get back to school then, chop-chop," I said in a British accent, instantly embarrassing myself while standing up.

"Briar, what is your last name?"

"Bryson, why?"

"You are a strange girl, Briar Bryson." She yelled back as she began to get a head start running back to school. I chased after her, suddenly speechless of a comeback.

Dahlia confused me, to say the least. We got off to a rocky start, she has an unknown favour hanging over my head and she thinks I am strange. To an outsider, this would seem as if Dahlia Lastname-To-Be-Found-Out and I were not friends in the least. Zero chance of ever being friends for that matter. But from my perspective, I think I had a lot to look forward to in terms of my time spent with Dahlia, and a lot that was going to come our way, good or bad.