Chapter Three

"So what does x equal?" Mrs. Scott asked the class, getting right into math after she had taken attendance.

I saw Dahlia's hand shoot into the air as mine went up as well. The teacher called on Dahlia.

"X equals 7, Mrs. Scott." The teacher nodded and filled it in on the board. I looked down at my page where I had done my work, erasing the answer I had written, for it had been incorrect. I saw Dahlia look back at my page and then right back to the front of the class. I shrugged it off.

Our teacher proceeded to explain the basic math that we already knew from last year, but I guess I did get one wrong so I needed a review. Mrs. Scott drafted yet another equation on the board. I scribbled it down and solved it in my notebook, raising my hand when I had the answer. Dahlia's hand was also up, blocking my view of Mrs. Scott.

"Briar?" She asked.

I was caught a little off guard, faulty of the fact that was staring at the intricate bracelets Dahlia was wearing, all of which looked homemade and beautiful. They were multiple colours, showing off the entire rainbow. Some had small daisies weaved into them while others were strips. One ever looked as if it might be a pride bracelet, but it could just be a coincidence.

"Oh um-, x=4." I smiled a half-smile, which I had no doubt look beyond awkward.

"Correct."

I nodded and was about to look back down at my notebook and maybe sketch a doodle when I caught Dahlia glaring back at me. I guess answering that question was very important to her. She rolled her eyes and wrote something small in her notebook before glancing back up at the whiteboard to see the next question. The teacher called on her and Dahlia answered, smiling smugly back at me. I was beginning to lose interest in this girl, for clearly, her personality did not match her beauty on the outside. As my mom would say, 'She's got her knickers in a knot.'

'It is so on.' I thought to myself.

My hand shot up to answer the next one, answering it correctly before smile falsely at Dahlia when she looked back.

So the class went on, Dahlia and I racing to answer questions, with a few random peers answering in between. Normally I didn't engage in this kind of immature behaviour, but she was getting on my nerves. Dahlia didn't get a single one wrong either like she was some sort of brainiac. I would groan when I got one wrong. The bell finally rang, signaling the end of class and I must say, I had enjoyed history way more. Too bad I ended up finding the classroom.

"I won." I heard someone behind me say. I turned to see none other than Dahlia.

"Are you talking to me?"

"You betcha." She smirked.

"And what exactly did you win?" I asked, slightly annoyed that she even considered talking to me after the nasty glares.

"You had only answered 5/7 questions right and I answered 7/8 questions right. Therefore you got 71.42% of the questions right and I got 87.5% percent correct so I win. But who's counting." She showed her her page noted with tally and giggled falsely, walking past me with a smug expression on her beautiful face.

'What a bitch.' I thought. I knew I didn't have any other classes with her though because I hadn't seen her in them yesterday.

I rushed back up the stairs, two at a time, to drop my books off being heading out to lunch. Although I had a perfectly fine lunch waiting for me in my backpack, I was tempted to go out, thinking it would be nice to get out of the school. I walked back down that same staircase, noticing the dirt on them, each creating a unique footprint from that person's shoe. If looking at the correct angle, it could almost be an art piece. I tucked that idea away in my head and headed towards the back doors of the school, where I knew it would be less busy.

I guess I had missed the large sign above that had said Emergency Exit Only when I walked through, for the fire alarms began blaring in everyone's ears the second the door clicked open. I mentally swore and ducked into the closest classroom before someone could find out I was the guilty bandit. I took a quick scan of the room and didn't see anyone, provoking an exhale of relief.

"What an idiot."

I screamed and turned around to the oh-so-familiar voice.

She laughed. "Idiot and a scaredy-cat." Out of all people I knew Dahlia was going to rat me out, might as well hand myself in now so she at least doesn't get the satisfaction of 'tattle-telling.'

As if reading my mind she said, "I won't rat you out, as fun as that does sound, but I'm not that petty. Despite your beliefs But I do want a favour in exchange, which I can use any time I'd like."

"And that favour is?" I asked her, knowing I would probably get a call home if someone found out I had set off the still blaring alarms, which would not be ideal on only my second day of school.

"Tsk tsk, you have to agree first."

"Why would I agree to a deal which includes an undermentioned factor?" I deadpanned.

"Because you're a perfectionist in school who can't really afford a call home or to catch the teacher's attention right now." She smiled back as she held out her hand to shake.

I groaned over-dramatically and took it. Surprisingly, I blushed when our hands connected, forcing myself to look to the ground so she wouldn't see.

Dahlia peeked out of the narrow and long window of the classroom door, looking out at the teachers who were trying to find the one guilty. "So how long are you planning to hide?"

"Until the teachers clear out," I responded.

"Nah that's gonna take too long, come with me." She ran to the other side of the class where the large window was and began opening it. I heard a few things click before she pushed out the screen of it and hung half her body out. "Eh it's not too far, we can jump." She then proceeded to sit on the edge of the window sill and slide out. I heard a quiet thump and a pause before, "Come on already!"

I sighed and walked over. It was that far.

'Just far enough for you to break all the bones in your leg when you fall at the wrong angle. Or fall onto a knife.'

I jumped down beside Dahlia, quite literally taking a leap of faith before my intrusive thoughts could tell me any else.