•eighty-five•

~~~~~Haerin

Numb... My body has no feeling... There are no thoughts... I'm just numb...

In front of me sits a woman who I only ever wanted attention, and love from. She only gave neglect, and then ultimately, pain... How do I process this? What do I say? What does she want?

"Haerin? Baby?"

The one voice that could break through, asks for my attention. I turn from staring at 'her' to Jeongguk. He is looking at me with concern, but I don't think I can even smile right now. I see his hand approach my face, but I feel no warmth when he touches me... Numb...

"jeongguk?"

I can't raise my own voice above a whisper...

"Yes baby?"

"is this a dream?"

His warm eyes stare into mine and he shakes his head as 'no'... I can see his hands holding mine, but I don't feel them... My head feels heavy, like I can't hold it on my own shoulders, so I bend it to rest on his... Numb...

The soft white fabric is all that's in my vision. It's like looking at a blank wall with texture. I know my forehead is resting on Jeongguk's shoulder, but I don't feel it. I can smell his subtle cologne that has hints of sandalwood and vanilla, but I still don't 'feel' anything... The movement of my hair tells me he's running his large hand through it, but I don't 'feel' it... Numb...

"Haerin?"

A voice I've dreamt of... One that is associated with some of my best memories... One that broke my heart in the end... I hear it... Is this another dream? It must be... I can't feel anything... Numb...

"This is done... You should go..."

"But"

"No Mrs. Choi... She's in shock, and I won't continue this right now."

I hear the words, but can't move to see the looks on their faces. Jeongguk sounds worried with an angry undertone. 'She' just sounds defeated... A chair scrapes the floor and I jump... My heartbeat feels painful suddenly... 'She' will leave?

It hurts...

Why does it hurt? I should be relieved, right?

"Baby? Hey... Shhhh... You're alright..."

Air... I need air...

The voices are fading down a tunnel... The white shirt begins to look gray...

"can't... can't... breathe..."

~~~~~Jeongguk

I was stupid... I knew this was a mistake, but I let them convince me. When Naeun Noona told Haerin about her mother, she didn't waste a moment before slapping her Unnie for keeping her secret meetings away from her. We were all stunned, and Noona only accepted that she deserved the attack. The remorse followed at a dizzying speed when Haerin fell to her knees, clutching onto Noona's legs and begging for her forgiveness. Tears were streaming from her eyes as she wailed about how awful she is.... It took us 20 minutes to calm her, and release Naeun Noona from her hold.