She started to stir in her sleep , moaning slightly. I watched her every move . 
" Ah , Gaara! Sorry ! I accidentally slept.. Well.. I didn't want to wake you up ," (Name) confessed.
She turned her gaze to the tray of food on the table.

" Oh no.. It's already cold..." (Name) murmured.
My eyes trailed to the clock. It read 9 PM. No wonder.

" It's fine. I'll just eat it anyway ," I said. 

(Name) blinked. " But.. It's unhealthy to eat food that has been exposed for like.. Two hours ," she said.

​​A small smile grazed my lips. This girl.. The previous nurses only did their job .. But (Name) , she truly cares about my well-being.

" Can you please wait for just five minutes more ? I need to reheat these ," she said.

Within seconds , (Name) whirled out of the room. I stared at the interior of my room. It was so sullen , that I am unable to draw a line of contrast between it and myself.

I have no idea of how long is the time remaining for me to live. But even if I die ... No one would mourn. No one even knows me.

Being alone hurts. Living in this room all my life , my company only being the constant visits of the doctor and the nurses my father hired , the rare moments when my siblings apparently realise that I still exist.. And the nonexistent visits of my father.

As a child , I was just as sickly , but I still wanted to see the outside world. But being confined to the wheelchair as a result of my heart condition didn't help at all.

" Come on uncle , Onii-chan ,Onee-san , let's go to the playground !" a five year old Gaara said enthusiastically.

Kankurou and Temari looked at their little brother sympathetically. They knew Gaara wasn't going to come home being just as happy.

" Gaara.. Why don't we just go to.. Somewhere with less people?" Temari suggested.

" But Onee-san!  I want to meet people and make friends! I'm tired of just sitting  in that room!" Gaara smiled as he hugged his stuffed teddy bear.

Yashamaru sighed. " Let's just go to the playground , that's where Gaara wants to go , right?" he said , in a very noticeable fake cheerfulness.

" Yeah!" the red haired boy said. 

During the car ride  , Gaara couldn't stop talking about making friends , running and playing till his heart is content.

" ...finally I can go to the playground! Otou-san never lets me go there , but today I can!" he grinned.

A sad look formed on his sibling's faces.

When they arrived at the park , it was a nice windy evening. Children around Gaara's age were happily running around and playing at the swings.

A large smile formed on the face of the red haired boy.
He got ready to go and play , but Yashamaru stopped him.

" Stop Gaara! You can't run or walk much . Sit on this wheelchair ,"  Yashamaru said.

Gaara flashed a dissatisfied look to his blonde uncle as he sat on the wheelchair.

Yashamaru pushed the wheelchair forward as they entered the playground.

Gaara's young eyes were filled with enthusiasm and excitement. But the eyes of the other kids were not. They sneered at the young redhead , and some taunted him.

" You look like a weakling!"

" Handicapped like that , and you still want to play? How idiotic!". The happiness faded from his green eyes and sadness took over. 

Temari shook her head. She knew that was going to happen. Kids are all insensitive and mean to boys like Gaara.

" Gaara , let's go somewhere else , ne? "  the seven year old girl said.
Gaara's face was streaming with tears at this point.

" Onee-san.. Why do they hate me? What did I do to them?" he choked.
Temari's teal eyes widened.

She motioned Yashamaru to take Gaara away from the taunting kids. Kankurou tried his best to comfort the sobbing Gaara .

It was too much for the young boy to handle. He never spoke to people other than his family , and when he left the house , people made fun of his wheelchair.

" Gaara.. Stop crying.. It's alright ," Temari comforted her little brother.
Growing up without a mother certainly matured Temari. Gaara wrapped his weak arms around the older sister's body.

" Onee-san.. It hurts.. My chest.. It hurts," Gaara murmured.

Temari pulled away from the hug and examined her brother.

" We need to take him to the hospital! " Yashamaru said.
Gaara's face grew deathly pale , he clutched his chest and his breathing was hoarse.

Before Gaara could figure out what was going on , he plunged into a void of darkness.

I blinked harshly. It was a bitter memory. The first and last time I ever went outside , bar the hospital.

The door creaked open and I saw (Name) enter the room.
 ​​​​​She carried a tray of food , which seemed very warm , as the smoke was still rising from it.

(Name) placed the tray on the nightstand . 
" Umm.. Gaara . It's time for dinner.." she murmured.

I nodded. 

" Do you want to eat it yourself or.. Do you want me to.. Uh.. You know.." (Name) mumbled.

My eyes widened slightly.
Is this girl for real?

I shook my head. I grabbed the tray from her hands , and said " You may go ,".

"But I'm supposed to stay here , by your side ," she retorted.

I let out a sigh. " Look , I understand you want to keep your job , but you don't need to act like a goody two shoes. Stop with the acting ," I spoke.

(Name)'s eyes widened. " I see why the previous nurses can't keep up with you. I accepted the offer because I knew you are alone. I know that you lack love , Gaara ," (Name) replied.

" I accepted the offer because I wanted you to be able to enjoy your life . I wanted to bring a light into your life . Everyone has a chance Gaara. Your sickness is not an excuse . Because pain can be healed. There's an antidote for everything ! " (Name) yelled , her voice wavering.

I stared at her in disbelief. Why? Why does she care?!

" You don't know how it feels like to be alone!" I bellowed.

(Name) seemed to flinch slightly from the tone of my voice.
She hung her head down , her (h/c) hair making a barrier between the two of us.

" I know how it feels like to be alone. It hurts. It's agonising. It's suffering! So what? Do you want to remain alone?!" she yelled.

This time I flinched. Her voice sent shivers down my spine.

" No. I don't want to .. Be alone ," I choked.
(Name) stared at me in the eye. Her eyes were warm and gentle. They softened when our eyes met. I felt comforted when she sent a smile at me.

" That's why I'm here ," (Name) said as she enveloped me into an embrace.
A small smile formed on my face as I succumbed to her warmth.