Aftermath

The steady beep of the monitor was the only sound in the room. The somber mood was quickly noted by anyone who entered the room. In fact, the depressing air swirled throughout the entire hospital. It was as if a curse followed the woman everywhere she went. Those she loved and cared for were hurt- either directly or indirectly. The day turned night didn't seem to be any different.

The death toll was three: one officer, one civilian, and one member of the press. The injuries varied from scrapes from falling in the scramble to those needing surgery to repair where they were struck with bullets. Y/n was among the victims that were an easy fix. Shisui was among those that required surgery.

"Asami," Obito's voice was soft as he entered the room again, "We should go home." He urged.

Y/n looked up from the lounge chair that sat beside Shisui's bed. Shaking her head, she replied, "He took a bullet for me, Obito. I-"

"Should be in bed," Obito cut his wife off as he walked around the hospital bed.

Shisui was sound asleep, the sedative from surgery would be wearing off soon, and Y/n wanted to be there when he woke. "I'm fine," she defended.

Holding out his hand, Obito sighed as she accepted it and stood. Then, still holding her hand, he used his other one to brush her messy hair from her face, "Asami," he cooed, "Please," he whispered, "you need to take care of yourself."

Opening her mouth to protest, Y/n's head snapped to the bed as she heard Shisui groan. "Will you two quit arguing?" He tried to chuckle but ended up grimacing instead. "I'm trying to sleep." His smile was weak, but it was genuine.

Letting go of her husband, Y/n moved to take Shisui's hand into her's, "What were you thinking?" She scolded. "You could've died."

"Better me than you," Shisui scoffed as he pushed himself to sit up with one hand. "But you really should go home."

Obito watched Shisui in silence as his wife spoke, "The bullet nicked your spleen, but there's no major damage," she stood to her full height, "You should be able to go home in a couple of days. "I'll go find Shizune."

She didn't wait for either male to object as she made her way out of the room. Obito kept his eyes on his wife as she walked away. Shisui kept his focus on Obito, though. Finally, the door closed, and Obito sighed again, much heavier than before. Shisui saw the heavy burden that sat on his cousin's shoulders. He could only imagine the thoughts that plagued his mind. The troubles that swirled his heart.

"When did it happen?" Obito suddenly asked.

Thoroughly confused, Shisui asked, "When did what happen?"

Obito moved the chair slightly so he could sit and face Shisui easily. Leaning forward and placing his elbows to his knees, he laced his fingers together to keep from punching something. Shisui saw Obito's knuckles turn white as he clenched his jaw for a moment before he spoke again.

Readying himself for the argument to come, Obito answered, "When did you fall in love with her?"

It was Shisui's turn to sigh after he flinched at the accusatory tone of Obito. Closing his eyes and letting his head fall back to the pillow, he conceded, "A long time ago," his voice was lined with a longing that would never be filled. "What does that have to do with anything that's going on now?"

Obito lifted his hands and pressed his forehead to them. Shisui opened his eyes to see his best friend and cousin struggling to find his words. It was beyond angry. This was the last thing he needed to figure out now. He had his doubt over the last couple of months- and now? He didn't want to accuse his wife and cousin of having an affair.