Chapter Twenty-nine: Passing the Time, pt. I

They didn't set off the next morning until the sun had fully broken through the horizon. The delay made Kai anxious, but he wouldn't deny the night's rest was needed. When he woke up--on his own terms, without any disturbance from Jey--he was well-rested with a clear head.

Kai took the driver's side without any protests, though he was fully expecting one. After a quick morning routine, they were off again, headed in the direction of the rising sun.

The car was quiet, save for the subtle wind stream from the pair of cracked windows. Even besides the road, Kai had plenty to keep him busy. He could stay like this all day--and did for a while.

Jey cleared his throat audibly, shattering the hours of silence.

Kai acknowledged him without breaking concentration from the road. "What is it?"

He immediately recoiled. "What? Nothing."

"What's on your mind?" Kai tried again.

Jey hesitated before speaking. "It's nothing," he repeated. "It's just--you're a lot quieter than I was expecting."

Kai couldn't help but break into a wide, playful grin. "What, did you think I was going to be one of those road trip buddies that plays road games and sings songs to pass the time? Do you want me to start?"

"No," he assured. "Don't. I just figured you were obnoxious enough to do shit like that."

He feigned outrage, clutching nonexistent pearls. "You think so lowly of me. Did you forget I spent almost three quarters of a year out here with no one else with me? If I was desperate for interaction, I would've turned around and gone back east months ago."

"Alright, alright," Jey conceded. "You don't have to get on a high horse about it. I was just thinking out loud."

The grin didn't recede from Kai's lips. Instead, it grew bigger. "Oh my god, you're bored."

"I'm not--"

"You're bored. You're so bored that you actually want me to talk to you."

"I didn't say that."

"You might as well have." Kai was practically singing. "You don't bring a book or something with you on these things?"

His expression soured even further. "I get carsick."

"Dude, that sucks. You sure picked a hell of a career. What happens when you're on the Arc, then? Do you still get carsick? Or...seasick? Mobile home sick?"

Jey took his time, like he was debating whether or not to entertain the conversation. "It took some time to adjust to in the beginning, but now it only gets me once in a while. It's mild."

Kai almost snorted. "Did you get this bored while you were working in the Prepper system, too?"

Jey frowned at the mere mention of his old job, but he didn't shy away from the question. "The Prepper system had less of a work life balance. If you were working, you were working. There wasn't much else to think about."

"How'd you even get involved in the Prepper system?" Kai ventured to ask. "Anytime I came within a mile of those guys out on the road, I did my best to steer clear. They don't exactly exude a welcoming aura."

"That's not really something I like to talk about," Jey mumbled, tracing over words like massaging an irritated sore.

He shrugged. "Look, we've all done things we're not proud of. You used to kill people for a living, I used to be a girl--whatever, not a big deal. We'll call this a judgment free zone, okay? We all did things we had to do to survive--yadda, yadda, yadda. We don't have much else to do out here besides talk. Might as well make it an engaging conversation. Deal?"