i, tied together with a smile.

chapter one. tied together with a smile.

angelina phan overworked herself until her limit was reached. then, when it went over the top, she pushed some more. what is life, without academic appreciation? what is life, without ending in success?

she had little to no free time. and all of it was spent with her very best friend in the whole wide world since she was eight years old, oliver cambridge — or ranboo, a name she had come up with due to his harsh mispronunciation of the word 'rainbow' when they were younger.

it was one of those things that just stuck, she supposed.

angelina spends her time in the library, or at home huddled over her desk, studying for her next big test, or working on homework, or something that can get her into new york university.

living off of academic validation was not a simple thing. but in the end, it made her happy — well, more or less, it made her parents happy. and that was fine with her, because what is life without success?

"hi, angie," her mother smiled softly as her daughter entered the house with a couple of bags in hand. "how are you, dear?"

every summer since she was twelve, angelina spent her days in an instrumental camp, learning everything she could on every instrument in the book — she loved blowing the teachers and her peers away by the gift that had come so naturally to her.

"hi, mom," angelina put a grin on her face as she leaned down to kiss her mother's cheek. "i'm good, sad it was my last year."

she turned eighteen while at camp. they bent the rules just for her, since after her fifteenth birthday she became a counselor, and allowed her to spend one last year there — even though being eighteen or older and a counselor was against the rules.

usually campers weren't turned into a counselor until they were sixteen. but learning all of the instruments early has it's perks, and angelina figured it out soon enough.

"i'm glad. oliver is upstairs. he's been waiting for you since two o'clock." her mother rolled her eyes.

angelina laughed. seems like a oliver thing to do.

"i'll be up there now," she said. "make sure aiden doesn't touch any of my stuff. i know where he sleeps at night." she sent a harsh look towards her younger brother, aiden. he was going into his first year of high school, angelina her last.

she placed her bags at the bottom of the steps, jogging up to the room that had a painted lip-bite emoji on. two am ideas can get to you, huh?

angelina opened the door and was welcomed to oliver, who was leaning back in her desk chair on his phone.

"hey," ranboo said, sparing a single glance over to the doorway she stood in, before doing a double take. "oh crap, HEY!"

she laughed at his antics and closed the door behind her, before turning back around and seeing how much the boy had grown since the last time she saw him — two months ago.

the girl was five foot eleven, which was beyond taller than average for her age, and just a female in general, but ranboo was taller. he always has been.

"what the fuck? how are you almost eighteen years old and still growing?" angelina furrowed her eyebrows and gave him a tight hug, him squeezing her back just as hard.

"i take day quill at night." he shrugged.

"so do i?" angelina tilted her head and smiled. "i don't think that has anything to do with it, king. but you do you."

ranboo smiled and plopped down on her bed. "wanna watch something?"

he was already going through the netflix options, before switching to disney plus when deciding nothing was good. no matter what angelina answered, they'd watch something anyway.

"okay," she sat next to him, watching the different movies and shows go by. "any ideas?"

he sighed loudly before going to the search bar, and typing in something that only angelina could've seen coming.

"hamilton?"

"it's the only thing i can think of!"

"ranboo, we've seen it forty eight times!"

☽˚⁀➷ AUTHOR NOTE . . . ⚘
this version is gonna be so much more
realistic... as in angelina will be stressed
constantly ☠️ it just gets worse and worse
for her

 as in angelina will be stressedconstantly ☠️ it just gets worse and worse for her

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━