Tartaglia glances out the window and he sees a silhouette from the distance. Assuming it was Xiao, he strides towards him without the need for an umbrella. As soon as he reaches the male, he taps him on the shoulder and hands him the towel. "Stay away from the princess."

"I could say the same to you, Childe."

"You're the field marshall."

"And you're the general."

"You cannot fall in love with the princess. Your life is on line. If you die, how do you think she'll feel?"

"Falling in love is at the bottom of my priorities. Her safety is on the top."

"Glad you know what's best. Oh, don't take this to the heart. Just a little warning. Well, I have to return now. I have other matters to attend to." Tartaglia waves his hand, walking towards the direction where he came from. Xiao was glaring at his back the moment he turned around, his hand clenching onto the towel tightly. "Tsk."

While walking back, Childe notices a pair of muddied shoes on the front porch. Knowing that you had visited Xiao earlier, he takes your shoes for a clean-up.

Meanwhile, in your room, you were currently reading the letter from your father.

Dearest daughter,

I hope you are doing well because I am too. It's been half a year since I last saw you and I miss you so much. There is not a day I don't think about you. Though I must say this feud is getting difficult to resolve. I have thought of many ways yet I always end up at a dead end. I do wish you'd return and stay at the kingdom but I cannot guarantee your safety. Speaking of safety, I trust that Tartaglia has been protecting you well? No scratches nor bruises, I presume? You have to stay strong, my dear. I will find a way to resolve this matter as soon as possible. We will be reunited again. Take care.

You hold the letter close, a smile forming on your lips. "Take care too, father." You neatly return the letter back into its original shape and place it inside one of the drawers of your table. Not too long after, a soft knock on the door drew your attention and you open the door to reveal Tartaglia. "Your foot."

You blink at him twice, confused why he would say that. He crouches down and takes out a new pair of shoes, one that had a beautiful design of a flower but this didn't make you excited, rather, it brought you into a state of panic. "W-Where did my shoes go?"

"They were coated in mud—"

"D-Did you throw it?!" Your voice raised to a higher volume and it shook Tartaglia. "P-Please tell me you didn't..."

"Do not fret, princess. It's being cleaned as we speak."

You breathe out a sigh of relief. Tartaglia looks at you and asks why you reacted that way. "It belonged to my mother... it's the only memory I have of her."

"Come on. I'll show you, but first, wear this for the meantime." Tartaglia extends his hand out, indicating that you extend your foot out for him to put the new pair of shoes on you and you blush. "I-I can do it myself!"

"Please allow me." He stays in the same position, waiting for you. You bit your lip, nervously extending your left foot first. He equips the shoe on you then on the other before getting up from his kneeling position. "Let's go."

He closes the door behind you then walks beside you, escorting you to where your shoes were being cleaned.

"Your mother..." He began, "What was she like?" Tartaglia glances at your figure and your shoulders were stiff. "You don't have to answer me if you don't want to."

"W-Well... where do I start?"

"Whatever you're comfortable sharing."

You told him everything you could remember about your mom, the laughs you both shared, the times you've spent with her whether they were in the garden, the study room, or just in your bedroom, and most importantly, the time you spent together with both your mother and father as a family. "She sounds amazing."

"She is... it's a shame you couldn't meet her now."

"I believe that she's in a better place."

"Thank you, Gen—"

"Childe. You can call me Childe."

"But that would be informal... then, you'll have to call me by my name!"

"Alright, (First Name)."

You blush at the mention of your name. The way it rolls off his tongue sound so good. You could hear him say your name all day.

"T-Thank you, Childe."

"For what?"

"For listening to me talk."

"It's no problem... your father entrusted me to take care of you. Might as well get to know your savior, you know?" He winks.

"Hmph! I can save myself! Have you seen me with the bow?"

"Oh yes. I do remember the arrow landing out of bound."

"D-Don't remind me of that!"

After an exchange of playful banter, Childe's face turns serious. "Though I must say, there's something I should advise you. You shouldn't be close with Xiao."

"Why? He doesn't seem like a bad person. He's nice—"

"You'll only get hurt in the process."