Chapter 15

Darwin
                                            •••••
     After we finished cleaning up the cans, we worked on cleaning other things up. Lia scrubbed the floor, dining table and kitchen counters while I vacuumed the carpet in the living room and put back all the cushions before helping her.

     The entire time we cleaned, I did my best to push the memory of Lia and I kissing out of my head. I kissed her picturing that it was someone else. That's so fucking low and embarrassing.

     I'm also embarrassed with myself for enjoying it as much as I did. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with me?

     We just finished eating lunch (which consisted of sandwiches, chips and apples), and now are sitting on the couch. The house is back to its former pristine glory.

     "I think it looks better than we found it." I say, taking a sip from my glass of water.

     "We did a good job, didn't we?" Lia smiles. I nod, setting my cup back down on its coaster.

     The two of us make a pretty good team. Almost as good as Marie and I.

     "So..." Lia draws out the "o". "Now what?" She's right. It's only about 1 o'clock. We've still got about 7 hours before Lincoln and Vince come to pick us up. It's not like we can go out and do something.

     I glance around the room for something to do. A bookshelf sits near the TV. I'm not much of a reader. Lincoln, and surprisingly Siggy, are the big readers in the group.

     I consider turning on the TV, but a muffled yawn from Lia makes me change my mind.

     "I think we both deserve a nap." I say, holding back my own yawn. Why do yawns have to be so contagious?

     I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in the past few days, and Lia's adventures yesterday and this morning must've drained her energy. Lia stand up from the couch and stretches,

     "For sure. I'll be in the guest room upstairs." She trudges towards the stairs as I rise from my seat,

     "I'll be in the master bedroom down here." I get a quick thumbs up from her before she disappears up the steps.

     Rubbing my eyes, I head to the master bedroom and collapse onto the bed. I pull my gun out of my waistband and slide it under the pile of pillows that my head is on.

      I try to fall asleep, but the room is way too chilly. I attempt to heat myself up, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. As soon as I crawl under the toasty sheets, my eyelids feel heavy and my muscles relax.

     It feels as though I'm laying on a fluffy cloud while getting a big hug from Marie. With my head filled with Marie, I succumb to sleep.

                                          •••••

     I'm not sure how long I've been asleep, but the sound of the door creaking open wakes me.

     I've always been a super light sleeper. I'm not sure why.

     I keep my eyes closed and lay motionless under the covers as soft footsteps approach the bed. My hand curls around my gun beneath my pillows.

     They stop at the footboard for a second before coming around to my right, where they stop again.

     "Dar—"

     My eyes fly open as I bolt up and hold the intruder at gunpoint, clicking off the safety with lightning speed. My heart pounds in my ears.