Chapter 33: Krypto - Part 1

"It was the night before Christmas and just like a wraith, a quadruped figure was opening a safe."

The Golden Retriever turned the dial with a clawed paw, ears twitching for the clicks until finally the lock snapped. He bit the handle, turned and pulled and wagged his tail as he looked at the contents. He turned behind him and used his teeth to drag over a bag, and then used his paw to tip the wads of cash and jewellery into it. Then he delicately zipped the bag with his teeth, picked it up, and exited through the dog door in the kitchen. But it hadn't been a Cat Burglar, but a Dog Burglar.

...

"How did we do?"

Zack Greenfield unzipped the bag on the examination table, pulling out wads of cash and jewellery.

"Mutt did good. There's about $2,000 in cash and around $1,000 in jewellery. Gotta love people too paranoid to put their goods in the bank."

Josh Greenfield was kneeling by the Golden Retriever in question, who was looking at him with big brown eyes and his tongue lolling out.

"Who's a good boy Einstein? You're a good boy!"

Josh scratched the dogs head and Einstein barked in approval, tail wagging. A Rottweiler in the cage in the corner barked in protest at the lack of attention coming his way. Josh looked over and smiled, taking out two sausages from his pocket and giving one to Einstein and getting up to drop one into the Rottweiler's cage.

"You're a good boy too Hercules."

Zack dumped the contents back in the bag and gave the dogs a disdainful look.

"It was genius to hit the house while they were away for the holidays, that'll teach Mr Houston to fire me from the grocery store."

"That was 7 years ago Zack!"

"Revenge is best served cold."

Josh led the obedient Einstein into his cage across the room from Hercules, and he dutifully curled up as the door was shut.

"Does this mean we can stop Zack? We've got £20,000 dollars over the last month from the surrounding towns. That's enough to get us out of here and start somewhere new."

"Not yet, I've got another target in mind, then we'll get out of here."

"Who?"

"Why, Lex Luthor of course. His dad fired you without severance pay; I reckon you're entitled to a little compensation."

"Luthor? But, I don't think Einstein could handle that, he's probably got more security than Fort Knox! What if he gets caught?"

"Then they'll bring him here, we're the only vet practise for small animals in Smallville. And if the Mutt gets himself shot we have enough of that Meteor-Rock cocktail to make another Super-Dog. They're just animals Joshy, they're expendable."

"But..."

Zack turned round and grabbed Josh's shoulders.

"I may be the youngest, but who looked after you when Dad ran out and Mom got sick?"

Josh looked down in defeat.