Chapter 2: Scarecrow

Clara never did get to Pete's house that day. Upon arriving back at the farm her father gave her a stern talk about "being seen" and simultaneously congratulation her on her heroism. Jonathan Kent had never been prouder and more terrified of his daughter in his life, today they could have lost her and she had once again proved how otherworldly she was. Clara had rescued a Luthor, that came with consequences and Jonathan was not ready to tangle with them again. Lionel Luthor had helped them adopt Clara after they had taken his damaged son to the Hospital. This repayment came at the expense of a dear friend's property. Now Clara was once again in the eye of a Luthor, the very one they had helped to save of meteor day. Jonathan did not expect any less duplicity from the younger model. Blood will out and a Luthor is a Luthor.

Clara's mother had held her for a good 10 minutes before letting go and Martha Kent once again silently thanked the universe for her daughter. On the day of Clara's "arrival" she had been at Nell's flower shop, little Lucas Lang her nephew was fascinated with a small wishing well Nell had put in the front window display. The cute little boy in the wizard outfit had very seriously told her to put in a coin and wish for what she wanted most and it would come true. Martha has smiled at the naivety of youth but the part of her soul that still believed made her take out a dime from her pocket, flick it into the well and wish for a child. The universe works in mysterious ways because that day, after a car accident, the child of their dreams found them.

They got a child that never got sick, never hurt physically and had extraordinary abilities. The time would soon come that their little girl would be a woman and would go out into the world. A world that would not understand her differences may even hate and fear her for them. They as parents could only teach her what was right and trust that she would implement it. Today she proved that she had taken those lessons to heart and it had made her a hero. Clara Kent, their little cornfield child, would one day do great things, today was a herald of wonders to come.

Soon their child would be a woman, and a super one at that.

Their little Superwoman.

...

Clara sat in her fortress of solitude that night, staring up at the sky through her telescope. Some nights she would point it at a random quadrant and wonder if that was where she was from, whether there was anyone there who knew her, missed her. Or maybe there was nothing out there and so she had been sent here, perhaps the green rocks were from her own planet. She would probably never know.

Clara thought back to today's incident with Lex, that had been a very close call for him, she hoped he was alright. For a few minutes while she'd given him CPR he'd been dead and she had never been more scared in her life. At the same time, pulling him from the car had given her such a euphoric rush. She was almost guilty by how good it felt, it almost became a selfish act.

But still, it had been the right thing to do and she would do it again, even at the risk of exposing herself.

Clara's Mum called her into the house, she still had school tomorrow. Clara groaned when she realised Chloe would probably want to interview her and Lex about it, to keep up appearances and not draw unwanted attention due to its absence from The Torch.

It would be a long day.

...

As expected, Chloe was abuzz with excitement when Clara entered The Torch before class. The title for the front page read "Torch Reporter Rescues Boy Billionaire from Watery Grave!". No wonder people had stared at her on her way into school, she'd decided to run rather than be ogled on the bus. It sounded a little tabloid to Clara but the short introduction had a large photograph of Lex beside a photo that Chloe herself had taken of Clara during the summer. The contrast of barely smiling bald billionaire and grinning country girl was almost comic.