Chapter 14: Coach Teague

The week had passed fairly quickly for Smallville High, but it was abuzz with activity. Students were still talking about the big Crows victory against the Topeka Trojans, the approaching Halloween festivities had instigated discussions over costumes, and as Friday loomed, botched repairs and parental spats broke out all over the school.

Kevan the flour baby had been doing well, still bright eyed and with his innards intact. On Wednesday morning Chloe and Clara were witness to Kyle Richards and Janice Kinnicky arguing about their floury offspring. Apparently Kyle had not been taking care of his fatherly responsibilities and Janice coddled "Ricky" too much. If Ricky weren't a flour baby they would have been mirroring an argument that had occurred for centuries. Clara was glad they were putting so much effort into their Science project, but at the same time felt like she was watching an episode of Jerry Springer. She could just imagine Kyle and Janice on a stage, sitting on couches on opposite ends and spilling their guts to strangers. Mr Henshaw, their homeroom teacher, was just about to intervene as Janice's voice raised several decibels at the mention of her "Hormones" when thankfully the bell and rung for the first class.

Thursday saw a very agitated Whitney trying to illicit physical affection from a reluctant Lucas. It was American Literature, and Mr Whitman was out sick, seeing as they were seniors, Principal Kwan had said he trusted the to study on their own, but that if anything suspicious was heard then Mr Burley, the stern Geography teacher, would be called in. Chloe and Clara were already familiar with the assigned book, To Kill a Mocking Bird, it was Clara's favourite. Clara was enjoying re-reading through Chapter 5 when she heard the whispers from Lucas and Whitney's table.

"Why are you being such a girl! Aren't guys supposed to be eager to do it? We've been together for three years now and we've never gotten close! I'm a woman Lucas, I have needs! You won't even make out with me in public people anymore! People will think something is wrong with me?"

Lucas looked at her uncertainly, his body language was defensive and he was sitting at a notable distance away from Whitney.

"We've only just turned 18; we don't need to rush into anything. I thought you liked the fact I'm not pushy. Now's not the time..."

"Then when Lucas? You barely kiss me anymore! I'm sorry I lost your ring okay! But you can't keep punishing me for it!"

"This isn't about the ring, this is about us. I don't think that...consummating our relationship is what we need right now. You're doing more hours at work, we have our respective teams, I'm helping my Aunt Nell with the Halloween Pumpkin shipments. If the flour baby has taught us anything it's that we're not ready to be in a more physical relationship right now."

Whitney was pale, and looked stricken.

"You're not telling me something, there's someone else isn't there, you've been distant all week! It's Kent isn't it?"

"Clara? No, she's a sweet girl but I barely ever talk to her, I don't know where you get these ideas. If you can't be sensible then that only confirms we're not ready yet."

Lucas stood, pushing their flour baby towards Whitney. He spoke normally now, so anyone could hear.

"I'm going to Assistant-Coach Teague's Office; he wanted to talk to me about some plays. I've read this scene, I know how it ends."

Lucas grabbed his bag and walked out of American Literature with half an hour to go. He left a fuming Whitney who was ringing her hands, and if Clara didn't know better she would say she was anxious, even scared, rather than mad. Clara felt guilty for eaves dropping, but when someone was this close it was very hard not to, she could shut off her long range hearing well enough now, but close up was a different matter.