Crown Prince Gilbert

"Prince Ludwig," the king said, "tell me about your older brother."

"Well," he said, looking him straight in the eye, "he is the Crown Prince. He's very protective, especially of myself and anything he views as not hostile and below him. He loves animals and often brings them inside to take care of. Although he comes off harsh and full of vigor, he is gentle. He has quite a superiority complex, on the other hand, and is quite obnoxious in his conceit. He says that he loves to be alone, yet I think he secretly craves attention. He is very eccentric, and very smart. But-" he paused. "Ever since he got the plague, he and Grandfather have both been so scatter-brained and weak. Not like themselves at all." His voice cracked on the last sentence.

"My older brother is like that too," said Feliciano, scooting his chair closer still to that of the prince, "you know, 'harsh and full of vigor,' 'Superiority complex,' 'obnoxiously conceited,' 'eccentric,' 'craves attention.'" Lovino's jaw dropped and his fork clattered to the floor.

"My own baby brother? What a backstabber!" he muttered.

"So I understand," Feliciano continued, leaning his head affectionately against Ludwig's shoulder, "Your brother sounds like a really nice guy, Ludwig!"