The Prince

Prince Ludwig of Germania was like a shadow. He arrived one day, proud and serious, and just as soon disappeared into the guest quarters after his welcome party ended. At mealtimes he listened attentively to the king and princes' conversations, occasionally asking a question about life in Roma. He was always polite, yet aloof, often disappearing for hours on end to take solitary walks through the garden or pore over the books Feliciano gave him free rein to borrow. He never smiled or laughed, and often seemed shocked at the informal and free-spirited actions and speech of the Romans. At first, Feliciano had been terrified of his tall, muscular stature and reserved, solemn demeanor. However, as time passed on and fleeting shared memories were woven, the King of Roma grew rather fond of the foreign prince.

One night, he decided to go to bed late, choosing instead to lay outside on the palace green and gaze up at the stars. For what could have been hours or minutes he stared, transfixed, at the royal blue sky, seeing only a few of the many constellations Aurelius had taught him to identify as a child.

Ursa Major and Ursa Minor. Cassiopeia. Cepheus. More and more appeared as the sky sank into a velvety black color and the summer night air grew chill and moist.

Cygnus. Lyra. The Pleiades. Again, he was a small child lying on his grandfather's chest, the only noises the chirping crickets and the beating of their hearts. Lovino and Romeo never knew of their running outside at night to stargaze, it was a joy the old king granted upon Feliciano and Feliciano alone. Now, that steadily thumping heart was silent and cold, rotting away in his grave.

Pegasus. Draco. Hercules. Capricornus. Aurelius had learned the names of the constellations from the Grecian Queen, whom he had fallen madly in love with during his kingship. He told of her beauty, creativity, and intelligence. She, however, was rather sickly and feeble, and perished a week before their wedding day was scheduled, leaving her son the king.

"May I join you, Your Royal Majesty?" Feliciano started. The voice was smooth, deep, and had a thick Germanian accent.

"Sure, Ludwig, I mean Your Highness," he said, "I was just looking at the stars."

The prince unbuttoned his cape and spread it out on the grass. He lay down, keeping a respectful distance from the king. "Pleasant night, isn't it?" he said, "No moon, no clouds, not too cold. Perfect for stargazing."

"Hm," Feliciano said in affirmation, "do you know much about stars?"

"Yes," he replied bluntly, "I know most of the myths as to how the constellations were made. I can name nearly all of the brightest stars and planets."

"Really?" said the king enthusiastically. He rolled over to face Ludwig. "Name that one. Kind of near Polaris."

Ludwig smiled. Feliciano's heart jumped. "Your Royal Majesty, that is not a star but Mars. Notice its red color."

In truth, he had not known the name of the celestial body, but felt stupid for not seeing the color. "You sure are smart, Your Highness," he said with a sigh, "I'm getting cold." The king proceeded to roll over right next to the prince, letting their combined warmth engulf him.

"What are you doing, Your Royal Majesty?" Ludwig said, startled.

"Making sure you're not cold, too."

"Y-Your Royal Majesty, I appreciate the sentiment," he stuttered, inching away, "but is this truly kingly behavior?"

"No matter," he said with a yawn, "Nobody's watching us." He propped his head up on his chest and gasped. The prince's heartbeat was loud and deep in his ear, and much faster than his grandfather's. Yet gradually it slowed, and Ludwig tentatively ran his fingers through Feliciano's hair. He was filled with a giddy, pleasurable sensation at the slow, gentle combing of his fingers over his head. The night inched on, stars that had been over one tree drifted over another, sounds of animals came from far away.

Slowly and peacefully, the king fell asleep, surrounded by the grass, the prince, and the beautiful desolation of the cosmos.