Chapter 3 - Hello, Stranger

"Wake up!"

"Wake up!"

A screech escapes me as my warm blankets are ripped from my body. The cold air engulfs me, filling my skin with little bumps. My eyes find the source of my misery and I scowl.

"Fucking asshole," I curse at Marald, "I could have slept naked!"

"As if I haven't seen you naked," Marald scoffs, tossing the blanket back onto the bed. "Come on, I let you hole yourself up in here all day yesterday. I'm not letting you do it again today." I grunt in response. "Besides, there're some weird guys here that are asking everyone they come across if they've met you and I thought you'd be intrigued."

He's right, I do perk up at that. Something inside of me tells me that this might be important.

"Alright, fine," I cave. "Let me freshen up and grab something to eat and I'll come find you and Narissa in a little bit."

That seems to appease him and he mumbles about needing to help his cousin with something quick anyway. Once he's gone, I step into my adjoining bathroom and quickly shower. I'm not sure why, but I feel like trying to look nice today.

I pull my brush out of my bag, trying not to remember how Cyrena used to brush my hair as I tug on the wet tangles. She always managed to make it look prettier than I ever could. She always did a lot for me that I don't think I'll ever be able to do for myself.

I brush the feeling aside and select a knee-length dress from the small chest of drawers in my room. I drape it over my body before nodding at myself in the full length mirror on the bathroom door. I slip a matching pair of shoes on my feet.

I step out of my room and immediately run into a tall, broad man that looks to be around my age. He stares at me in shock and doesn't say anything right away.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there," I say quickly. I open my mouth to speak again, incredibly nervous for some reason, but he cuts me off.

"Toni?"

My breath catches in my throat and I take a step back through my open doorway. How does this guy know who I am? His eyes widen and he looks panicked, but I shut the door quickly before he can say anything.

The only person that called me Toni was Cyrena; I would know this man if he knew her... right?

"Toni, wait, I'm sorry I scared you, please..." the guy says through the door, panic laced in his voice. "I met your mother...kind of, it's complicated." Before he can say any more, I open the door slowly. I glance at his face before taking the chance to observe his features unabashedly. He has shoulder-length dirty blond hair that he pulled back loosely into a tie. He keeps his facial hair trimmed neatly, leaving a thin blanket of beard covering his defined jaw. I trail my eyes down his torso and legs. He's tall and incredibly muscular - not to mention attractive as fuck. If I was a betting fairy, I'd say he's a wolf.