"Okay." Mahira gulped giving in fervently. The price bite into her skin but the desperation got the best out of her.

"Wait for 10 minutes," The lady said and walked towards the room that looked like an office. She could see her shuffled through her overfilled drawer cabinet, searching for some bunch of empty forms. 

"The rate she is charging is higher than what the others offer." A girl chipped standing at a distance, throwing an irked glare towards the office. "Why don't you research more on this place?"

"I am new here." Mahira looked up to a girl with what she could pull up as a friendly smile earning her an inquisitive look.

"Nice! She will be leeching off you more then."

She averted her eyes to another one who looked down at her, her face contorting in disgust eyeing her worn-out bag. Her eyes lingered on Mahira's face for more than 10 seconds before returning to her phone screen. 

The girls shuffled away as soon as the lady returned, shooting dirty looks towards them. She stashed a punch in her hands arranging the leaflets.

"नई लड़की हैं कया वीना ?" (Is she new here Veena ?) 

Veena scoffed at the words occupying the wooden chair that sunken at her weight. 

"She is new." The girl concluded and gave the caretaker a sickly sweet smile back. Mahira witnessed the exchange but quickly shielded her curiosity to look back towards the lady who dumped a bunch of papers and a pen on the desk harshly.

"Fill this. I need your ID proof and Rs. 16000 security deposit. It will be the rent for your first month." She instructed irritated and glared at the black-haired girl who just stepped inside the threshold. "बन गई सिंगर तुम आशा भोसले की औलाद ?" (Did you become the singer, You, daughter of Asha Bhosle ?)

"बन जाऊंगी एक दिन, मैरी प्यारी वीना दीदी" (I'll become one day, My dear Veena Didi.)

The girl winked walking inside. She looked at Mahira before passing her a smile. The lady willed her eyes, turning to Mahira who quickly finished her form, and handed it back.  

Veena checked the form and then looked up at Mahira who stood wordlessly. 

"I-I don't have that much cash. I have Rs. 5000 right now. I will pay you the rest by tomorrow please?" Mahira confided, fearing the lady would kick her out before she would have a place to spend the night. 

"Early morning before 10 AM. The ATM is two streets down the road." Veena shot her nerve-wracking stare and stiffly agreed before writing down the room number.

"Lizard." The girl grumbled hearing them, inaudible for others but Mahira heard. Her nerves were at an all-time high and little sounds were making her jumpy. 

"The breakfast timing is 7 AM in the morning. There is a spare kitchen, cook if you may. Yours will be room no. 24. Second floor." 

Mahira nodded at the instructions. 

"Did you just say 24?" The girl retracted her steps at once hearing them.

"Kaam to kuch hota nahi, baatien sunwa lo bas." (You are of no use but eavesdropping.) Veena scowled harshly. 

Mahira nodded at her and the girl beamed mischievously. 

"Finally! I will have a roommate." She announced at the top of her voice gathering the attention of all the eyes present in the eating area that was at the end of this passage separated by another wooden door that could fall off its hinges any moment now.