Once And For All? - Ed

And because some people were asking, Edni! Enjoy it.

Bel, xx

-:-:-

Once And For All? - Ed

     As I open the wardrobe doors to pick a new jumper because it’s getting quite cold and Moni just stole the jumper I was wearing, I take notice in all the things inside that do not belong to me. Dresses and jumpers and coats that clearly belong to my girlfriend. And it’s not the only thing of hers that I can find in my flat. In the bathroom there are also things of hers and in the kitchen. She has her own mug and her favourite tea. Some books here, as well. Her favourite films and TV series are also here because she likes watching them with me when I’m around. It almost looks as she lives here, but she does not. She has her own place and even if she spends loads of time here and has many things for when she stays over, we do not share a place.

I have wanted to ask her to move in with me for a long, long time but I can’t ever find the right time. I know Moni hates weddings —she actually wanted to skip Tammy and Liam’s and Alex and Niall’s, and I begged her to come with me but she whined nonstop about how weddings are stupid and a waste of time and money and that she couldn’t understand why someone needed to make such a fuss to sign a bloody contract— and that she sees marriage as nothing but a contract so if I ask her to marry me one day, she’ll just say no and walk away, disappointed because after so long I still don’t know her and her opinion. I do know her, very well, I know exactly what she would say if I pop the question, but that does not keep me from wishing things were different.

I just want to be with her, to feel always certain of her affection when I’m not around and what could be better than marriage for that? But I know that’s not the way to go with Moni. But living together is an option, it’s the way to go. I just need to find how to ask her so she won’t freak out even after we’ve been together for so many years.

“You have loads of things in here,” I comment grabbing my own jumper and closing the doors, pushing aside depressive thoughts.

Moni, who’s on my bed playing with Graham, laughs out loud and without looking at me, replies, “Yeah, and my wardrobe looks quite empty if you ask me. I think I have more things here than in my own place.” I sit in front of her and she looks up to meet my eyes and gives me one of those smiles that work as the best reassurance that she loves me, too. “In fact, I’m practically making my library here. Did you notice that?”

I nod with an easy smile, also stroking Graham’s fur and touching Moni’s fingers along the way.

“Haven’t you considered bringing all your things once and for all?” I question and for a second I can only look at Graham, too scared to see her eyes and her reaction.

“Hmm… That would be easier than taking my stuff back,” she muses and that surprises me. It’s not an absolute no, she doesn’t sound alarmed or anything. I look up and she’s actually thinking about it, without paranoia in her expression or anything. 

“Really?” I mutter and she looks at me, chuckling.

“Yeah. I mean, it’s like the most sensible thing, right? Plus, I always saw my future in two ways: Living alone with thirteen cats or living with you, because let’s be honest, who else would actually want to live with me for who knows how much? You’re the only crazy one willing to put up with me.”

I blink, processing her words that she just says as offhandedly as she can. For a moment I even think that maybe I’m dreaming again, but no. This is real. I pinch myself to make sure, though.

“You’re the only guy I could live and share my life with. If it’s not you, then it’s the cats. But if I live with you, I can also have the cats. It’s a win-win situation.” She smiles radiantly at me and my own heart races. “Ed, why didn’t we do this before? Molly and I will move in ASAP. You think Molly and Graham can actually live together, though?” she muses next and my mind must have frozen or something because I can’t seem to keep up with all what she’s saying. “Molly is gonna ignore him and just snore the days away. Can we get another cat? They’ll be like our children! And when you’re out I’ll spam your snapchat with pictures of them reminding you how much we miss you!” she starts daydreaming and I have to shake my head to wake up and apprehend what’s happening.

She is moving in with me. She is visualising a future with me. She is not freaking out. She is excited. It is happening.

I laugh out loud, I can’t help it and that seems to stop Moni’s divagations. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing, I’m just… so happy,” I reply, grabbing her wrists and pulling her towards me. Graham runs away, leaving us alone. “Just to make sure, you’re accepting to move in with me, right?” She looks at me for five seconds, like measuring whether I lost it, but then she wraps her arms around my neck and smiles at me.

“Yeah, I am moving in with you. So is Molly, though,” she reminds me and I laugh again, pulling her even closer.

“If I had asked you to move in before, would you have accepted? Like before Mila and you looked for separate flats,” I clarify and she thinks about it.

“Maybe. Most likely,” she replies and I laugh even harder, realising that I was just scared and I should’ve talked about this before. “We’re still not gonna get married unless it’s for some legal issue and all the children I’ll give you are cats,” she reminds me and I just chuckle again.

“I know, I’m okay with that. I really am,” I repeat and she smiles brightly at me. “I love you, Moni.”

“I love you, too,” she replies pecking my lips. “Should we go for Molly now?” she asks next and I just laugh before pulling her to the bed and rolling over, leaving her under my body.

“Later,” I say, without being able to wipe the smile off my face before I lean down and I kiss her. I’m so glad I mentioned moving in. It went better than I could’ve ever imagined.