part four

Light shone through the windows, hitting me straight in the eyes

Light shone through the windows, hitting me straight in the eyes. I groaned and moved my hand in front of my face to block the light. Only then did I open my eyes slowly and realize that I wasn't in a hotel. Or my car.

   Memories of last night came flooding back. The squeal of the tires on the road, the sound of the metal crashing and crunching in my ears overwhelmed me. I started breathing heavily and trying to think of anything else, but there was nothing. Only that and the pain in my side, worse now that I was struggling to breathe. I felt tears prick my eyes and soon leak over my face, and I tried to bury my head in the pillow to muffle the sounds of my panic attack. It was no use. I knew that I shouldn't be doing this, but I couldn't stop it.

   "Hey, hey. What- uhh, what's wrong?" I startled at the voice, not recognizing it and adding to my panic. I turned around towards the man, his eyes wide and concerned. Caid. Caid saved me.

   "What's wrong, Violet? Uh, shit,  I don't- I don't know what to do."

   The only thing I knew to do in this situation, the only thing that had ever helped me calm down, is a hug. He was crouching down next to the couch, and all I had to do was open my arms and wrap them around his neck. I didn't say anything, the sobs were subsiding but still stopping my speech from being clear.

   "Violet-" I squeezed his neck tighter, not knowing what else to do. If he tried to convince me to let go, I would probably cry harder. I needed him to hug me, the pressure of his arms around me. Anyone's arms around me, but he was the only one within miles.

   He must've gotten the hint, because he wrapped his arms around my waist and gently pulled me from the couch. Whenever I was down, I was practically straddling one of his thighs as he wrapped me tight in his arms, careful to avoid my bruised side in the process. Our bodies were pressed so close to each other, flush against and if I wasn't having an anxiety attack, I would really be enjoying all the contact.

   His hold was tight and felt unwavering, despite being uncomfortable seconds ago at the prospect of a hug. "Breathe with me, Violet," he said, his breath tickling my ear. My face was buried in his neck and his skin was becoming wet from my tears, but he paid no attention. Almost so slowly and gradually that I didn't notice, he started rocking from side to side, and the motion was relaxing me even more.

   As he started to breathe deeply, over exaggerating them, I did the best that I could to mimic him over my shuddering breaths. A hard task to get the hang of, but after a couple minutes I was able to think clearly. Clearly enough to realize that I clung to a complete stranger in the throes of my panic attack.

   I loosened my arms and almost so gently that I missed it, he gave me one last squeeze before loosening his as well and pulling back.

   "I'm sorry," I said as I used my sleeve to wipe the tears away from my eyes.

   "Don't be sorry. You needed to get it out, I understand. You went through a lot last night," he sympathized. A little part of me was surprised, but overall relieved that he wasn't awkward after the hug.