Five: Falter, Waver and Break

As the days passed by, I kept an eye out for Naruto but I hadn't seen him at all. With each passing day, at night I was left to my thoughts. My guilt began to pile up with each passing night, so I didn't get much sleep. During the day, I'd have difficulty trying to stay awake so I was forced to take drastic measures, get some caffeine. There was no way I could get my hands on coffee or any hard caffeine if I asked for it so I had to plan with precision and in the event of failure and heavy repercussion, I stashed a good amount of my candies in a jar and stashed it under the loose floorboards under my bedroom floor. I had to observe the shop to find the right opening. During the afternoon rush when all hands were on deck. That's when I decided to go for it. At the peak of the afternoon rush I 'helped' at the front counter and acquired the coffee flavored candies efficiently and no one suspected a thing.

After getting the coffee candy, I was able to hide my exhaustion. The sweet nectar of the gods in a candy form helped me stay awake during the day but it also made me extra hypersensitive to chakra, which I didn't mind at all because it really helped when I was scoping out for the bright ball of sunshine that is Naruto. So far I had yet to see him.

Pinkie suspected that I was up to something one afternoon in the park. A coffee candy slipped into the small pile I typically let her have, I quickly made sure to yank it out of her reach by popping it in my mouth. Making a smile form at my face. Pinkie stared at me as she popped a cherry candy in her mouth. I kept my attention all around me feeling out for Naruto's chakra when Pinkie broke out of her thoughts.

"H-Hachi, are you okay?" Pinkie asked. I nodded excitedly and looked around and not at her.

'I'm perfectly fine. Today is a good day. The sun is shining and we got to skip out on handwriting exercises.' I signed quickly as I bounced on my seat.

"I don't know Hachi, you seem too happy. You sure you're fine?" Pinkie asked after a while. Lately she seemed to take longer to decipher my signing. I heard her but my eyes quickly focused on the area where a bright energy was approaching. A smile formed on my face when a certain blond walked past the park entrance. I jumped up from my seat and rushed to catch up to him.

"Hachi wait for me!" I heard Pinkie yell behind me. I broke into a sprint and before I could reach the park entrance I crashed into something hard and fell back. My nose hurt and so did my butt from the fall.

"Watch where you are going." All my attention focused on the person before me. He/She had long dark brown hair pulled back and wore a black shorts and a white short sleeved vest. The eyes were distinct, a Hyūga.

'Sorry.' I signed and got up dusting my butt and Pinkie reached me and was gasping for breath. I bowed at the boy/girl, whatever.

"Hachi didn't mean to bump into you." Pinkie apologized in a soft quivering voice, the boy/girl, whatever, was frowning and it was scaring Pinkie. I shook my left hand to get their attention.

'Tell him or is it Her? Cannot tell, to be nice, I did apologize after all. Oh and that they have nice hair.' Pinkie nodded at me but gave me this look as if she was unsure what to say.

"Hachi says she's sorry." She heavily edited my signing. I pouted at Pinkie and she gave me this apologetic look.

"Can't she tell me herself?" The way this boy or girl, said it was mean and Pinkie's shy nature made her shut up completely. I instinctively stood in front of Pinkie to shield her from the mean Hyūga with nice hair.

"Well? Will you speak or not?" I glared and thrust out my left wrist and pointed to the appropriate charm. I noticed the little androgynous brat's eyes widen and a small blush crept across said child's face.

"I apologize." I felt smug getting the apology.

"Neji!" I froze upon hearing the name and seeing the Hyūga before me respond. He apologetically bowed and ran off to another Hyūga, a teen who called for him. I simply stared at him retreat. I could feel my eyes well up with tears. This person before me… This person's death affected me the most once upon a time long ago.

Honey & Kunai - A Naruto Fanfiction-जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें