87

I stare off at the crowd. They overheard everything Chase and I were shouting about on the top of the stairs.  Their eyes watch me wipe away the tears that stained my face. People I didn't know about most definitely got a snippet of my disastrous life at that moment. To the far left is Alex and Ritchie standing together at the bottom of the steps. 

The image is clear to see. Now it makes sense to me. This is all just one big joke to them.

I let my feet lead me down the stairs and out of the house before Chase had the chance to follow me. 

Rose stops me from walking off. "Sorry, I'm late would have been here sooner. Roger was taking too long to get ready so I came alone." She said.  I was taken aback by her appearance and couldn't think straight to say anything to her. I only wanted to get some fresh air.

I turned and saw Alex walking near.

"Sorry, Rose, I have to go. Enjoy the party." I lift my dress from the ground and headed out front. 

"Amelia, wait!" Alexander calls out my name. I kept on walking to avoid it.

I have nothing to say to him. Everything I thought I would ask my father if I ever found him drifted away from my mind. Father, my ass. If he knew I was his daughter all this time, and he didn't want to say anything to me, then it proves that he didn't care. 

He never cared.

"Amelia, I wanted to tell you. Just let me explain." He continued. "Amelia?"

I stop walking and turn around to slap him. My hand burned and the tingling of the slap sensation lingered on my palm. He didn't react to it. He only nodded and said, "I deserve that. Just let me say-"

"What!?" I yell. "What do you have to say to me that I already don't know? That I have a stepbrother? That you're my father? You knew this whole time." I stifle my cry.  I can't cry in front of him. I want him to only see my fury. 

"It's not easy escaping your life than finding your daughter years later. This has probably been the hardest thing for me."

"The hardest things for you? Don't feel sorry for yourself because I'm the one that was just embarrassed the whole time I've been here. You smiled in my face, let me live with you, and just acted as if I wasn't your daughter."

"I know, I wanted to tell you yesterday at dinner, but I got caught up..."

"With Ritchie?" I shake my head. "Do you know the hurt and trauma he caused Ellie? Myself included since I didn't have anyone to father me. My mother was devasted because of you and led to drinking. Do you want me to explain the horrific things Ritchie did while no one reliable was home?" I wanted to tell him everything only to make him feel like the horrible person he is. But deep down, I'm still trying to grasp the memories that came to me. 

"It wasn't my choice to leave Amelia. You have to believe me."

The sound of heels slamming concrete comes behind him. It's Claudia walking up with a lenient face. As if she didn't know.

"You're just in time for the family reunion Claudia. Alexander, Claudia, Claudia, this is Alexander, my long-lost father. I'm sure you knew that already, though."

Her eyes fall, confirming it all.

"Unbelievable!" The blood boils in my skin. "I feel like a fucking moron right now. Everyone knew but me."

I turn myself over and pull my phone out to call a cab.

"Can we talk about this somewhere?" She tries to get my attention. 

"I have nothing to say to you. You're a liar. I know everything I need to know already. I hope you all have a good life because I don't want any part of it."