May 15th, New York, 9AM

George Forrester had been in New York for two weeks waiting to speak with his new employer. He was feeling a bit peeved and if it weren't for the healthy payment he had already received, he would have been outright angry at his treatment. It was with relief that he finally found himself in front of Fisk Enterprise headquarters to finally confirm his new employment and meet his future boss.

He entered the building and signed in at the front desk. After a short wait, he was directed to the executive floor where he again found himself waiting. Finally, he was approached by an executive assistant who ushered him to Bartholomew Fisk's office. He entered the massive room and approached the man behind the desk. Fisk did not acknowledge him at first beyond motioning him to sit, while continuing to read a document on his desk.

After a few minutes, Fisk looked up, "You come highly recommended Mr Forrester."

"Thank you sir...," George began before being interrupted by Fisk.

"Please don't speak until I've finished. As I said you come highly recommended, but frankly you were not my first choice for the security detail. The truth is I've been criticized for not employing any African Americans as security officers and I need to rectify that situation. You are a diversity hire, do you have a problem with that?"

George answered through gritted teeth, "As long as I'm being paid the same as others in my position, I can deal with it."

"Good, we understand each other. You'll be acting in a dual role. You'll act as security as well as one of my drivers. Tonight I'll be attending the Art Institute Gala where I expect to purchase some rather valuable art. You will see to its transport to my residence at The Charlton House. Your new residence will be at that hotel in a room you will be assigned by my Executive Assistant, Miss Myers. You will be on call twenty-four hours a day with the exception of days I am holding events at my residence, in which case you will find other accommodations until 8AM the following day. You will also be signing a non-disclosure agreement concerning anything to do with me, my family, and my friends. I am paying you a great deal and expect my money's worth. Are we clear?"

Once more George held his temper in check, "Yes sir."

Fisk looked at George closely, "Good, welcome aboard. Go see Miss Myers, she'll give you the paperwork to sign and a document outlining your duties, as well as my schedule for the week. You can go now." He waved his hand dismissively.

George got up and left the office feeling both grateful and cheapened. It was not a feeling he enjoyed.

The Art Institute Gala, like all events of this type was more about the attendees than about the charity it represented

The Art Institute Gala, like all events of this type was more about the attendees than about the charity it represented. Although a great deal of money would be raised for whatever cause de jour was benefitted, in this case, a fund for the restoration of Art damaged by a series of unfortunate floods in Louisiana that invaded local museums, all eyes would be on the those individuals wealthy enough to afford the four thousand dollar a person tickets.