"Y/N!" Steve shouted, though panting at the same time due to the fighting. "Don't touch it!"

"If I can stop the portal, Steve, I'm going to stop it."

"Let her try, Cap," Tony interrupted. "It's the only idea we have right now to stop it."

Y/N sighed, rubbing her hand and checking it. It wasn't burnt. Well, anymore then it already had been. And it wasn't bleeding. But whatever that energy was that was guarding the Tesseract, could make her feel the pain through the dead nerves. She reached out her hand again. This time she got to her wrist before she had to pull out due to the pain.

"Y/N!" Steve shouted again. "Stop whatever you're doing! You're clearly in pain."

"I'm fine, Steve," Y/N panted. "I can do this."

Y/N turned the comms device off. She didn't need the team to be distracted by the pain she was in. And she didn't need to be distracted by them either. She looked up at the portal. The Chitauri army was still still coming through in masses. Y/N knew she had to do something before it was too late.

~~~

"Call it, Cap," Iron Man said as the team on the ground rounded up.

"Alright, listen up," the Captain ordered. "Until Y/N can close that portal up there, our priority is containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash."

"Can you give me a lift?" Barton asked Stark.

"Right," Tony responded. "Better clench up, Legolas." Tony grabbed Clint and shot upward.

"Thor, you got to try and bottleneck that portal," Steve continued. "Slow them own. You've got the lightning. Light the bastards up." Thor nods, flying up as well before Steve turns to Natasha. "You and me, we stay here on the ground. Keeping the fighting here." Steve then turned to the Hulk. "And Hulk. Smash."

Hulk smiled before doing what he was told. Everyone continued fighting off the Chituari.

"Captain, none of this is gonna mean a damn thing if we don't close that portal," Natasha said.

"Y/N, what's your status on the portal?" Steve said through the comms. No response. "Y/N, status report." Again, no response. "Has anyone heard from Y/N? Or does anyone have eyes on her?"

"JARVIS is saying that she turned her comms off," Tony said.

"Great," Steve muttered. "Anyone have eyes on her?"

"We're all a little busy, Captain," Barton responded.

"I can go," Nat offered, breathing heavy from the fight.

"You wanna get up there, you're gonna need a ride," Steve stated.

"I got a ride," Nat gestured towards a flying chariot. "I could use a lift though."

She backed herself up, giving herself room for a running start. Steve lifted his shield, angling for her.

"Are you sure about this?" Steve asked.

"Yeah," she responded. "It's gonna be fun."

Black Widow ran at Steve, doing a some parkour moves to jump onto the shield. Steve boosts her up with the shield, allowing her to grab onto a flying chariot.

~~~

Meanwhile, Y/N was able to almost reach the Tesseract. She could feel that the Tesseract was reaching out to her as well, beginning to help her get to it. The closer she got to it, the more power she could feel.