Steve then fought his way through the HYDRA base, which had fallen into chaos with the arrival of more Allied soldiers. Along the way, he ran into a HYDRA soldier with flame throwers. As Steve tried to shield himself from him, the soldier went down. Peggy was standing there holding a gun. Steve rushed up to Peggy.

"You're late," Steve said to her. For a moment, they got lost in each other's eyes. He can almost hear Y/N and Bucky teasing him for not taking the chance to kiss her. And he almost does.

"Weren't you about to..." Peggy spoke up.

"Right."

Steve quickly continued his chase, running after the leaving ship, fighting along the way. But he was not fast enough to catch up to Schmidt's ship. From behind, Peggy and Colonel Phillips drove up in a car.

"Get in!" Phillips ordered.

Steve got in and they raced after the ship. "Keep it steady!" Steve shouted as they drove underneath the ship so that he could jump onto it.

"Wait!" Peggy stopped Steve just as he was about to jump. She pulled him in, kissing him softly. "Go get him." Steve, surprised by the kiss, looked at Phillips.

"I'm not kissin' you!" Phillips said.

Steve quickly jumped and pulled himself into the plane. On the plane, Y/N was taken to the cockpit. She had stopped fighting to save her strength. She realized that she needed it, so that she could take down the ship.

"Leave us," Schmidt ordered his guards. They quickly did as they were commanded. "Do you have the serum running through you as well?" Schmidt asked, inspecting her.

"No. I wasn't so lucky. But I was born healthier, so I don't necessarily need it."

"Really? It might have helped you get out of here already."

"Who says I want to get out of here?"

"You think you're so clever."

"Clearly, I'm not the only one in the room who does."

The glowing cube in the center of the room, caught her eye. It was beautiful, yet somehow terrifying at the same time. She knew she needed to get a hold of it somehow. That taking that cube would help end the war. A beeping coming from the controls pulled her thoughts away from the cube. Schmidt rushed over to see what was happening.

"Damn it!" He hit against the consul. "It seems that your brother has commandeered one of our fighter planes."

Schmidt sat down in the pilot's chair to start firing at the plane. Y/N held her breath as she watched, hoping that Steve would stay safe. The plane got away but, not long after, a crash was felt from the back of the ship. Steve had crash landed back into the ship. Schmidt quickly stood up, grabbing Y/N by the hair and pulling her into the shadows. Her and Schmidt heard the door squeak open and Steve come down the stairs, clearly very alert. Schmidt put an arm around Y/N's throat, making sure that his hand was covering her mouth. When Steve reached the front of the cockpit, Schmidt powered up his gun and stepped out of the shadows, with Y/N still in his hold. Steve turned around, shielding himself from Schmidts fires.

"You don't give up, do you?" The man taunted.

"Nope!" Steve stated before he charged towards Schmidt and Y/N.

Y/N began fighting back, easily getting out of Schmidt's hold as he shot at Steve. Steve and Schmidt kept themselves busy while Y/N went straight for where the cube was being held. She just knew it was important and needed to get out of here. As Steve and Schmidt fought, they ended up hitting some things on the control panel, causing the ship to dramatically angel down. The men flew up to the ceiling as Y/N tried to hold onto the handle that was on top of where the cube was being held.

"Y/N!" Steve shouted as he continued to fight Schmidt. "You need to get to the controls!"

"Okay!" She yelled back. But before she could get there, Schmidt had already gotten there, fixing the ship and causing them to drop to the floor.

"You could have the power of the gods!" Schmidt shouted, taking a weapon out of his jacket and firing it at the twins. They both ducked down, with Y/N still trying to get to the cube. "Yet you wear a flag on your chest and think you fight a battle of nations!" Schmidt shot at Steve once again, missing. "I have seen the future, Captain! There are no flags!"

"Not my future!" Steve yelled as he jumped and rolled to reach his shield that he had lost in the fight before.

He threw the shield directly at Schmidt, who had moved to the front of where the cube was being kept. Schmidt flew back, hitting the container and causing it to malfunction and open, the cube falling out. A blue power crackled around the cube. Schmidt stood, unsteadily.

"What have you done?" Schmidt questioned and he reached for the cube.

He grabbed it, staring at it as it seemed to began to act up. The cube lit up the ceiling, showing the three the stars. Steve watched from the other head of the cockpit while Y/N stood right next to Schmidt, who began to be taken over by the cube. Before they knew it, he was beamed up. The cube was left in mid air. But not for too long. Y/N grabbed it. She screamed as it burned her hand. Steve tried to rush over to her, but he wasn't fast enough. The moment Y/N dropped the cube, it burned a hole in the flooring, causing both it and Y/N to fall through.

Y/N cried all the way down, flailing about as she did so. The cube was in her reach. Her left hand was burned but she had watched it transport Schmidt somewhere, maybe it could save her too. So she took it in her left hand, causing it to burn her more, and prayed to God that it would safe her as she hit the frozen water of the Atlantic.