[14] There's nowhere you can go that isn't where fate meant for you to be

We stand in the middle of a green field, the sound of kids echoing all around us

We stand in the middle of a green field, the sound of kids echoing all around us. There's usually a lot of people out at this time, after all in thirty minutes it's gonna be curfew and they'll all have to get ready for bed. I've never really liked hanging around here when the suns getting ready to set. Sure, I somewhat have control over the voices now but...the memory of the noise still makes me want to hide. It's stupid, I know. Staying inside usually just seems easier than dealing with things though.

I brush that concept away with a sigh. No, right now I'm with Scott. He doesn't know me as who I was, who I am. He only sees who I want to be. Something about that makes me feel a little queasy, in a good way.

"Here you go." Hank breaks me out of my head as he hands a pair of red sunglasses to Scott. "The-uh, the lenses are made of some ruby quartz I had lying around. They should be able to refract your optic beams and keep them contained within their own vector fields."

I stare between the two for a moment, debating whether or not I should open my mouth.

In the end I just shake my head. "Um, Hank?"

"Yes?"

"I know you've been trying to teach me more sciency words but uh...English please?" I ask.

A look of recognition seems to flash against his eyes. "Oh, right. Pretty much, they should make it so you can open your eyes without lasers coming out, Scott."

"Thank gosh," Scott says with a grin. "I thought you were just trying to give me some janky costume."

I lightly laugh and Scotts smile seems to grow.

Hank looks to Scott. "Try them on."

Scott hesitates for a second, rubbing the tips of his fingers against the glasses. Eventually though he lets out a heavy breath and begins to unravel the thick bandages covering his eyes. As the cloth slowly falls down, I get my second real look at Scotts full face. He looks exactly the same as he did yesterday. Just an ordinary teenage boy with an extraordinary ability. Still, something inside of me won't allow myself to glance away. Maybe it's some sick sense of curiosity? Wanting to know if the glasses will actually work? I don't really know to be honest.

Finally he puts on the glasses. The red color is admittingly more intense than I originally thought, almost entirely hiding what's behind them. Still, if I stare very closely, closer than would probably be socially acceptable in any other situation, I can see the whisper of his closed eyelids.

"Okay," Hank exhales. "Go ahead."

Scott nods his head and begins to open his eyes. "All right-"

"Wait! Wait, sorry. No." Hank suddenly stops him, looking out at a few younger kids playing with a frisbee right across from us. He grabs Scott by the shoulders and turns him towards a more empty area. "Just get behind me Elle, and...Okay."